We advise. You decide.
Our team of Academic Advisors assists with course planning for students who have been accepted into an academic program.
Academic advisors are professionals with a strong foundation in student development theory and advising practices. They work in partnership with students to foster critical thinking, seek out resources proactively, and formulate a strategic plan for attaining educational and career objectives.
Advisors embrace a holistic approach and recognize the unique individuality of students, including their diverse interests, aspirations, experiences, and backgrounds. Through meaningful and supportive dialogues, advisors provide constructive feedback to nurture student growth and personal development.
Academic advisors play a crucial role in assisting students with the following:
Academic advisors help students create a customized academic plan that aligns with their educational and career goals. They assist in selecting appropriate courses, majors, and minors and provide guidance on prerequisites, course sequencing, and preparing for professional programs.
Academic advisors connect students with various resources on campus, such as career counseling, mental health support, accessibility accommodations, and tutoring services to help students overcome challenges that may affect their academic performance.
Advisors assist students in setting both short-term and long-term academic and career goals.
Academic advisors work towards resolving academic challenges to develop academic resilience.
Academic Advising is available to students who are:
Domestic or international
Taking campus courses
Enrolled in any of the following programs
Other advising teams
If you have 54 or more credits or your program is not listed above:
If you are taking Open Learning (online) courses:
If you have have not yet applied (domestic):
If you have have not yet applied (international):
If you have not received an acceptance letter in to your program:
If you need course schedule or course registration information:
As advisors, we listen to your questions in a safe, respectful and confidential space. We share our expertise along with accurate, up-to-date information to empower you to make informed decisions about your academic and career goals. Some of the things we help you interpret or navigate include:
- Develop, modify and maintain an academic plan in a way that balances your academic, personal and professional demands
- Course pre-requisites
- Course selection
- Program requirements
- Academic policies and regulations
- TRU’s extensive network of academic support services
- Come to your appointment prepared with questions and relevant materials.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in advising appointments – ask questions if you don’t understand something.
- Keep your appointment if you’ve requested one. Cancel in advance if you can’t make it.
- Make note of important dates in the academic year (i.e. add/drop deadlines)
- Check your TRU student email regularly – that’s how we, and other TRU staff, communicate with you.
Read through the Academic Advising process and book an appointment with an Academic Advisor today!Connect with Academic Advising
- OM 1100
Across from Starbucks
- Monday to Friday
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.