TRU offers students access to a variety of advising teams happy to assist you with your educational planning. Click through the Advising Teams below to find out which advising team is best for you. If you haven’t yet applied to TRU, we encourage you to connect with our Future Students team.
What is Academic Advising?
Academic Advising is a collaborative relationship between a student and an advisor. As a team, the advisor works with you to create a strategic educational plan.
What is an advisor’s role?
- Develop, modify and maintain an academic plan in a way that balances your academic, personal and professional demands
- Course pre-requisites
- Course selection
- Program requirements
- Academic policies and regulations
- TRU’s extensive network of academic support services
What is your role?
- Come to your appointment prepared with questions and relevant materials.
- Be an active learner by participating fully in advising appointments – ask questions if you don’t understand something.
- Keep your appointment if you’ve requested one. Cancel in advance if you can’t make it.
- Make note of important dates in the academic year (i.e. add/drop deadlines)
- Check your TRU student email regularly – that’s how we, and other TRU staff, communicate with you.
What is the difference between Academic Advising and Counselling Services?
Academic advisors assist with course selection and pathway planning.
Personal and Academic Counsellor
TRU Counselling Services work alongside students to develop strategies for improved academic performance; they also offer support with personal assessment tools and workshops. Short-term individual counselling is also available and focuses on creating action plans and support networks that combat stress, anxiety, depression and other personal issues.
Before engaging in the workforce, it is important for students to have the skills, documents and confidence to succeed. Career and Experiential Learning provides resources to help students build résumés, cover letters and portfolios, as well as free one-on-one career counselling to help students decide what to do with their careers and how to reach their goals.
Thompson Rivers University academic advising is a collaborative teaching and learning process dedicated to student success. Academic advising engages students in developing a self-directed plan to navigate their educational and life pathways. The advising team strives to provide accurate and consistent advice in a caring and respectful environment.
- Develop our knowledge and expertise through professional development and training
- Increase efficiency using new technologies
- Offer service that accommodates the needs of our diverse university population
- Be proactive in our efforts to collaborate with the university community
- Create a culture of student engagement
- Foster a spirit of learning in a caring and compassionate environment