Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Filing Taxes

Most TRU students get a Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202). You need this when filing your income tax. You can find it in myTRU by the end of February. It does not come in the mail.

T2202s may not be issued in the following situations:

  • Your course or program does not qualify. T2202 receipts are only issued for post-secondary courses of more than 3 weeks.
  • You have paid $100 or less in tuition and fees.

T4A forms for all scholarships, bursaries, awards, grants and honoraria are sent by Canada Post in late February.

Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) is now required for your tuition tax receipt.

If you have not already done so, log in to myTRU and go to “Financial” then to “SIN for T2202” in order to securely record your SIN. Please note that if you did not have a SIN on file when your T2202 slip was generated, TRU will not be doing amendments.

Questions and answers

What information is in a T2202?

A T2202 is a Tuition and Enrolment Certificate. This form displays the eligible tuition fees paid during a tax year and the number of months a student was enrolled in part-time and/or full-time studies.

Why am I being asked for my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Starting the 2019 tax year, TRU is required to make reasonable attempts to provide the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with each student’s SIN on the T2202. The T2202 form will allow you to claim eligible tuition amount on your income tax submission. Note: Lack of a SIN on your T2202 could result in CRA rejecting your deductions.

I am an International student, am I required to provide a SIN? Do I need a T2202?

If you have earned income in Canada and are filing a Canadian tax return, you are required to provide TRU your SIN. For the 2019 tax year, TRU is required to provide the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) with each student’s SIN on the T2202. The T2202 tax receipt may allow you to use tuition paid as a tax deduction on your income tax return. Please consult the Government of Canada tax obligations site ‘Are you an international student studying in Canada?’ for more information.

Where can I submit my Social Insurance Number (SIN) for use on the T2202?

All TRU students use the online Social Insurance Number (SIN) Submission page to enter or check your SIN. You access this page at myTRU, under ‘Financial’. If you have already submitted your SIN, no further action is required. If you visit Enrolment Services, they can help you enter your SIN on the secure online submission form.

Only if you need to change/update your SIN on file at TRU will you need to visit Student Awards & Financial Aid with your Social Insurance Number (SIN) card and a valid piece of government issued photo ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport) to update your SIN on record. If you are also an employee of TRU, contact People and Culture instead of the Student Awards office.

Where can I find more information about the Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Information about the Social Insurance Number can be found on the Government of Canada website.

How do I obtain a copy of my T2202/T2202A for a previous tax year?

Canada Revenue Agency requires us to provide past information for a period of at least six years from the end of the last tax year.

Tax receipts for the years prior to 2010 are no longer available.

Students can access their T2202/T2202As on myTRU.

What if I don't have a myTRU account or don't remember my username and password?

All TRU students have a myTRU account.
See myTRU Help if you are having trouble logging in.

Why is the amount on my T2202 different from the amount I paid?

There are a few possible explanations:

  • One or more of the courses you took are not eligible. To receive a tax receipt, the course must be equal to a certain number of credits or hours.
  • Not all tuition and related fees are tax deductible. For a list of eligible fees, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency.
  • Your course or program does not qualify. T2202 receipts are only issued for post-secondary courses. For example, receipts are not issued for Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses, continuing studies, or an English as a Second Language program.
  • Tuition fees for courses spanning one calendar year to the next are pro-rated to each applicable year. This situation is common for Open Learning courses or trades programs. For example, a course with an eight-month completion time starting in November is recorded 25% on the tax receipt for the year when the course started and 75% on the receipt for the following year.
  • You may have outstanding fees. T2202 forms will only be issued for eligible amounts that have been paid.
Why does my T2202 show the tuition I paid but does not show the number of months I was enrolled?

This can happen if you were in a course that lasted less than 3 weeks, if the course is continuing studies and would not appear on a TRU transcript, or if your studies were not at the post-secondary level.

What if I have questions about my income tax return or understanding tax deductions?

TRU staff are not able to provide income tax advice. For questions regarding the use of the Tuition and Enrolment Certificate (T2202) form or information about filing your income tax return, please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency.

For the Education amount on my T2202 (Tuition and Education Certificate), am I considered a full-time or part-time student?

To be considered a full-time student, the following criteria must be met:

  • A qualifying education program is defined in the Income Tax Act as a program that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and requires a minimum of 10 hours of instruction or work in the program each week (not including study time). Instruction or work includes lectures, practical training and laboratory work.

To be considered a part-time student, the following criteria must be met:

  • A specified education program is defined in the Income Tax Act as a program that lasts at least 3 consecutive weeks and requires at least 12 hours of instruction each month.
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has contacted me because they need an explanation about my "Undeclared" program. What do I need to do?

You can print a letter of clarification for the CRA from myTRU where you accessed your T2202.

Why is the address shown on my T2202 not correct?

The active address we have for you in our records at the time of preparation was used on your T2202. Given that a T2202 is only available through myTRU they are not mailed out, TRU will not reproduce a T2202 for an address change. If the address used is either incorrect, or missing, please go to myTRU and update your information for future correspondence.

Why is the form called T2202 and not T2202A?

Canada Revenue Agency changed their naming convention starting in the 2019 tax year and this will be the new standard going forward.

After reading all the information on this website, I still have a question, whom should I contact?

Please send your question to

Search To Top