Click this bar to leave this page and make it difficult for someone to know you were here.
Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Get Help

SVPR OM1486 Room

Reaching out for help is an important step to take. Please take the time you need to explore your options for support on and off-campus.

What to do if you’ve been assaulted

  • Go somewhere safe. If you are still in danger or you are concerned that you might still be in danger, or if you need urgent medical attention, call 911.
  • Security is available on campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and can be reached at 250-828-5033, OR by pressing the buttons on one of the blue Emergency posts on campus.
  • Y Women's Shelter can provide 24 hour phone support, including safety planning. They can be reached at 250-374-6162, or by text at 250-682-7931.
  • Consider seeking medical attention at Royal Inland Hospital, TRU Medical Clinic or one of the urgent care clinics. Even if you don’t think that you’ve been physically injured, it may be beneficial to access medical services for STI testing and/or reproductive health concerns. The hospital can also collect physical evidence, in the event that you choose to formally report the assault in the future. Evidence is best collected within 72 hours of the assault, but can still be gathered up to 7 days afterwards. The Kamloops Sexual Assault Crisis Response can also provide support and information at the hospital.
  • Consider making a report to RCMP, TRU or an anonymous third party report with the Sexual Assault Counseling Center. You can also contact Community-based Victim Services at the Kamloops Sexual Assault Counseling Center, or the Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager if you would like to speak with someone in person about your decision to report (or not report). The decision to report or not report can be complex, and you deserve to make it with as much information as possible. Please see the Reporting Options resource found below for more information.
  • Consider connecting with a support that feels safe and trusted. Please refer to the Supports section to learn more about services available on and off-campus.

Safety Planning

If you are in immediate DANGER or fear for your safety, please CALL 911. If you are not in immediate danger, call VictimLink BC at 1-800-563-0808 for information about services that are available throughout BC.
The Ending Violence Association of BC has created a number of resources around addressing your personal safety.
We have created a Safety Planning Resource that’s specific to your time on campus.
Download the Safety Planning Resource
The Kamloops Y Women’s Emergency Shelter operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They can provide support over the phone and in person on a variety of issues including safety planning, emotional support and information about resources and referrals.

On-Campus Supports

Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager

The Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response Manager (SVPRM) can offer:

  • emotional support
  • safety planning
  • connections to additional resources
  • academic and housing accommodations
  • information about reporting options

The SVPRM can also provide information on reporting options, and support through reporting processes.

TRU recognizes that experiences of violence will be shaped by many factors such as sex, ancestry, race, ethnicity, language, ability, faith, age, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender identity. The SVPRM is available to support anyone on campus who has experienced violence, including staff and faculty. Those seeking support are welcome to bring someone to their appointment. If there are specific things that would make reaching out and accessing support easier for you or someone you know, please contact the SVPRM by emailing svpr@tru.ca, calling 250-828-5023, or dropping by the SVPR office in OM 1486.

*Confidentiality: If the SVPRM has reason to believe that you or someone else is at imminent risk of being harmed, they are legally required to report this information.

TRU Counselling Department

Free personal, career and crisis counselling for all TRU students.

TRU Health Services

Medical services for all TRU students and employees.

TRU Wellness Centre

One-to-one holistic health consultations and health information. Student peer support is offered through the Student Wellness Ambassador Team (SWAT).

Campus Security

Security is on campus 24/7 and can provide accompaniment to students through their SafeWalk services.

  • The security office (HL 128) is located on the first floor of the Brown Family House of Learning Building.
  • On-duty security staff can be contacted by calling 250-828-5033; Local 5033.

Off-Campus Supports

Kamloops Sexual Assault and Counselling Centre

Free, confidential, client-centred services to victims of sexualized assault, child sexualized abuse, domestic violence and sexualized harassment.

Royal Inland Hospital

After an assault, victims/survivors may consider accessing Emergency Room services at the hospital to receive immediate medical attention related to injuries, sexually transmitted infections or reproductive health support. Kamloops Sexual Assault Counselling Center can provide support to those accessing the hospital through the Sexual Assault Response Team (SART). Victim/survivors can request SART’s support through hospital staff.

Kamloops RCMP Detachment

Please see our Reporting options page for more information regarding reporting to RCMP.

  • Kamloops RCMP
  • 560 Battle St.
  • 250-828-3000 to speak to an officer

RCMP can also provide victim services to individuals who have experienced sexualized or domestic violence. RCMP-based victim services are separate from KSACC's community-based victim services and are bound by different limitations regarding confidentiality.

Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)

Kamloops Sexual Assault Counselling Center’s SART team will provide immediate support, information and advocacy to individuals who have been sexually assaulted within the past seven days. Specially trained volunteers are on-call Friday at 4:30 p.m. to Monday at 8:30 a.m. SART’s support is available at Royal Inland Hospital to victims/survivors who request their services.

Y Women’s Emergency Shelter

Short term crisis support to women and children experiencing violence or at risk of experiencing violence. Staff are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in person or by phone or text. Individuals do not need to stay at the shelter in order to access support.

Stopping the Violence Outreach Services

Mobile support for those experiencing violence or at risk of experiencing violence. The STV Outreach worker can provide support, information, connection to resources and accompaniment to support or court-related activities.


VictimLinkBC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual telephone service available across B.C. and the Yukon 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 1-800-563-0808. It provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence, including victims of human trafficking exploited for labour or sexual services.

VictimLinkBC provides service in more than 110 languages, including 17 North American Aboriginal languages. In 2014-2015, VictimLinkBC assisted more than 12,000 people.

VictimLinkBC is TTY accessible. Call TTY at 604-875-0885; to call collect, please call the Telus Relay Service at 711. Text to 604-836-6381. Email VictimLinkBC@bc211.ca

Public Health Youth Clinic

Sexual and reproductive health

EQ Virtual

An online clinic for those with BC medical coverage. Create an online account for quick access to a doctor for a range of physical and mental health concerns.

  • EQ Virtual
  • Clinic Hours: Mo-Fr 8am-8pm | Sa-Su and Holidays 9am-5pm PST
  • 1-888-547-5575

24-hour Crisis and Information Line (WAVAW)

Immediate, toll-free and confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

“Calls are answered by empathetic and skilled support workers. Crisis Line support workers are there to listen, to provide non-judgmental support and, if needed, to provide information on available WAVAW services or referrals to other community programs and organizations.”

Trans Lifeline

“Trans Lifeline is a national trans-led…organization dedicated to improving the quality of trans lives by responding to the critical needs of our community with direct service, material support, advocacy, and education. Our vision is to fight the epidemic of trans suicide and improve overall life-outcomes of trans people by facilitating justice-oriented, collective community aid.”

Get Checked Online

Get checked for Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis C without needing to see a doctor first. Visit Get Checked Online to create an account and locate the lab in Kamloops. Use the code ‘Kamloops’ when creating an account.

If your results come back positive, it is encouraged to see a doctor after that.


Academic Accommodations

For more information or questions, please get in touch with the Sexualized Violence Prevention and Response managers at svpr@tru.ca or call 250-828-5023. As a hybrid office, we offer in-person as well as virtual appointments. We are located in Old Main 1486.

Search To Top