Undergraduate Research Experience Award Program
Fall: Oct. 11
Winter: Feb. 28
What is UREAP?
NEW for 2019! The Undergraduate Research Experience Award Program (UREAP) is a $6,000 scholarship that can help you get started in your own original research. It is a way to improve your resume, increase your academic and professional success, and make your time in university more interesting and rewarding.
Projects funded by UREAP may also be eligible for an additional operating grant of up to $1,000 to cover expenses such as supplies, travel for the purpose of research, or travel to conferences to share your research findings. Operating grants are subject to availability of funds and the discretion of the UREAP adjudication committee.
Do I qualify to apply?
In order to be considered for a UREAP award, you must:
- Be a full time student of TRU at the time of application and be enrolled in an undergraduate program of study
- Have completed a minimum of 60 credits of undergraduate study at the time of application
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.2*
- Have a faculty member who is willing to mentor you and guide your project
- Not have received a UREAP award in the past
- Not hold a UREAP and an NSERC-USRA at the same time, for the same project
*Students who do not meet the GPA requirement may apply but must include an explanation of the circumstances leading to a lower GPA.
How do I apply?
Submit your application throughTRU Romeo, the online portal, by the deadline. Hard copy applications will not be accepted. Please note: if you haven't used TRU Romeo before, you will need to REGISTER.
*Hard copy applications will not be accepted
*Official transcripts are no longer required
All documentation (including faculty mentor project support forms) must be submitted by the deadline. Late or incomplete applications will not be forwarded to the adjudication committee.
I've decided to apply, where should I start?
You need a faculty member to agree to be your Primary Faculty Mentor and another to be your Secondary Faculty Mentor. These mentors will supervise and guide your project, as well as provide input on your application.
Next, make your TRU Romeo account and start your online UREAP application.
Where can I get help with my UREAP application?
There are many resources available to help you during the application process. If you require support:
- Ask your faculty mentor for help and feedback on your application,
- Refer to the drop-in schedule posted at OM 1522, and ask for assistance from Undergraduate Research Ambassadors, and /or
- Refer to the UREAP Help Guide
Information for Faculty Mentors
Faculty Mentors (Primary and Secondary) are required to complete a Faculty Mentor Project Support Form during the application process. Please submit completed forms via confidential email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline.
Final UREAP documents
The Faculty Mentor must complete Appendix A: Final Project Approval Form, and submit it to email@example.com. The student is then responsible for submitting the approved final report, along with Appendix B: Final Financial Statement, and TRUSpace: Non-Exclusive License to Research and Graduate Studies.