To earn a TRU credential in an Open Learning program, you must apply for admission.
- Select the Open Learning program that you are interested in.
Review the admission requirements to ensure you have what is needed and know what documents are required to support your application.
- Apply to a program. To get started, sign up for an EducationPlannerBC account:
Submitting an online application requires a credit card to pay the application fee.
Once you begin an online application, you can save it and return as often as you like prior to your final submission.
Your application will be added to the queue for processing.
Alternatively, you can apply by mail (see instructions below).
International students who want to take an Open Learning (online/distance) program must apply using the PDF form. Once completed, email firstname.lastname@example.org or mail the form to OL Admissions with the appropriate fees (see How to Pay).
- You will receive an application welcome email from Admissions with instructions about next steps and the specific mandatory assessment and program-related fees, for which you can pay online or by one of the methods outlined on How to Pay.
- Follow the instructions on how to submit your transcript(s). Submit any (if required) additional supporting application documents, as listed in step 1 to email@example.com.
- Once all application documentation has been received, your application will be reviewed. You will receive an email confirming the status of your admission.
- Once you are admitted, you will be assigned an OL Program Advisor. You will also receive an individualized program plan, which will provide an overview of your program requirements and list what courses you must take to complete the credential. This program plan will be accessible through myTRU. Learn more at Degree Works.
- If you are eligible to receive transfer credit from your previous post-secondary studies towards your TRU program, the official transcript(s) provided with your application will be reviewed to determine what credits can be awarded. If you are pursuing Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) credits (academic credits granted for knowledge, skills and abilities you have acquired outside formal post-secondary studies), an advisor will be in touch with you through this process.
Additional time will be required in these cases, to update your program plan to reflect any applicable credits.
- Register in the relevant course(s) as noted on your program plan through myTRU. If you need assistance with registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Connect with your OL Program Advisor for any advice and support regarding course selection.
- You will receive access to your course, and if relevant, the course materials. Now you may begin!
Apply by mail
- Complete the application form.
Mail the completed form to:
Thompson Rivers University
805 TRU Way
Kamloops, BC V2C OC8
- Pay your fees online or by one of the methods outlined on How to Pay.