How do I know my fee deferral is approved? When does it expire?
Using the TRU Go app, under Academics, click on Notifications. Your fee deferral and expiry date will be listed.
- or -
Using myTRU, under the My Academic Record heading, click on Academic Profile. On the upper right-hand side of your profile, your Holds indicator will have a red badge. Click on the badge and look for “Awards Fee Deferral”. Your deferral expiry date (fees due date) is listed under “To Date”.
Your fees are due to be paid in full as soon as your funding is received, but no later than the expiry date of your fee deferral.
Who is eligible for a fee deferral?
Student Awards & Financial Aid is responsible for the approval of fee deferrals (i.e. deferring your payment due date).
- Students who have been approved for full-time or part-time campus student loans/grants through StudentAid BC or other Canadian provinces*
- with TRU named as the institution and
- prior to the start of classes, and
- have approved, unrestricted, and assignable loans/grants greater than their total balance due.
- Students who have been approved for Open Learning student loans/grants who meet the above conditions and have submitted an eligible fee deferral application for the current semester.
- Students who have accepted an offer of scholarship or award which fully funds all tuition and fees, and are meeting all the conditions of the award (sufficient enrolment, athletic eligibility, etc.)
*Quebec, N.W.T., and Yukon do not allow fee deferrals (the loans are not assignable to TRU). Contact Student Awards & Financial Aid for clarification. Split enrolled students with government funding confirmed by a school other than TRU are not eligible for a fee deferral.
New international applicants
New international applicants may be eligible to defer their enrolment. Deferrals will normally be granted on a one-time basis only. All deferrals will expire one calendar year from the start date noted in the original Letter of Acceptance. If a student's request for a deferral is approved, TRU will hold and retain 100% of all paid tuition and other scheduled fees and apply these to the new semester. All tuition paid to TRU will be forfeited if the applicant does not register and begin classes within one calendar year of the start date noted in the original Letter of Acceptance.