Minimum Admission Requirements
Applications are open. Rolling review of applications will begin once all mandatory application support documents are received by the Admissions office, with notifications of admission decisions shortly following. We are aiming to have all offers of admission to candidates by June 15, 2022. Later applications will be considered based on available seats in the program.
- Completion of a four-year undergraduate baccalaureate degree or equivalent in an appropriate discipline (for example, sociology, political science, history, anthropology) from an accredited institution.
- A minimum GPA of a 3.3 (on a 4.3 scale) in the last 60 credits at the undergraduate level (exceptions are made on a case-by-case basis if the applicant can demonstrate academic or relevant experiential growth since graduation in the fields of human rights or social justice).
- A Statement of intent highlighting your experience and enthusiasm related to issues of human rights and/or social justice.
- Your CV or resumé.
In addition to the above requirements, it highly recommended that you:
- Specify in your statement of intent your completion pathway preference (although there is time to change before the beginning of the second semester).
An admission committee will review each application. The committee is keen to engage with students who demonstrate dedication and enthusiasm related to issues of human rights and social justice, and who demonstrate a desire to interact with faculty members, other students, and organizations or groups that work in fields of human rights and social justice. The admission committee may interview applicants, via telephone or other methods, as part of the admission process.
English language proficiency
Applicants who did not complete their undergraduate degree in an English language university in a country where English is the primary language, should have one of the following:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 587 with a TWE of 5.0 or higher (paper-based test), or minimum score of 94 with no section below 20 (IBT), or
- A minimum IELTS score of 7.0 (with no band below 6.5), or
- Completion of TRU ENGL 1100 or 1101 and CMNS 1290 or 1291 with a minimum B.
Please note, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Upon acceptance and depending on the practicum placement, a criminal record/background check may be required for the field experience course (HRSJ 5040).