Visual Arts Diploma
Students in the Visual Arts at Thompson Rivers University can have the best of two worlds: courses can be counted toward a Diploma and toward a Bachelor of Fine Arts and a Bachelor of Arts with a Minor in Visual Arts, or other university degrees at the same time. The Diploma allows students to sample a diverse selection of different media, such as drawing, painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture and multi-media to gain an introduction to contemporary art practices along with art history and theory. The Diploma is useful in a resume for job applications or entrance to academic programs that require some background theory and practice in visual arts.
The TRU Visual Arts Diploma program consists of two years of core and elective courses, all of which may be taken singly, if desired. The holder of a TRU Visual Arts Diploma can enter the third year of the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Visual Arts) degree, or other university programs. Thus, it is strongly recommended that those students wishing to pursue the BFA degree at TRU or other post-secondary institution complete the Visual Arts Diploma to achieve third year standing before advancing to upper level classes in Visual Arts.
Students are admitted to the Bachelor of Fine Arts program.
- B.C Grade 12, or equivalent, or mature student status
- English 12/English 12 First Peoples with a minimum of 73% (or equivalent)
The Visual Art Diploma requires completion of a minimum of 60 credits in which 48 credits must be VISA courses
Required courses are:
- 6 credits of ENGL 1100, ENGL 1110 or 1120 or 1140 or 1210
- 6 credits of academic electives, 3 of the 6 credits maybe Art History or Theory
- 6 credits of first year Art History (VISA 1110/1120)
- 15 credits of first year VISA Foundation studio courses
- At least 21 credits of second-year VISA studio courses
|Total Year 1 Credits||30|
|Total Year 2 Credits||30|
|First- or second-year art history or theory||3|
|Second-year studio courses in two areas||24|
|Academic elective or art history or theory||3|