Frequently Asked Questions


Applying to TRU Law

 When is the application deadline for admission to TRU Law?

Applications for the Fall intake open on September 1 and will continue to be accepted, along with supporting documents, until the final deadline of February 10. Our evaluation process operates on a rolling basis, with offers made prior to the deadline. Hence, we strongly encourage the timely submission of complete applications.

 How do I apply?

Visit the applications page for instructions on how to apply.

 What documents are needed in addition to my completed application form?

Visit the applications page for instructions on how to apply.

 How much is the application fee and do you offer fee waivers?

(Fall 2023 Intake) The application fee for Canadian students is $124.29 and is non-refundable. The application fee for International students is $167.09 and is non-refundable. We do not offer fee waivers. Further details are available on the applications page.

 Which category of admission should I select?

You may select from one of the following three categories of Admission: Regular Applicant, Indigenous Canadian Applicant or Special Consideration Applicant.

All Applicants:

  1. Obtained an undergraduate degree in an approved course of study from a degree-granting institution; or
  2. Successfully completed the first 3 years (minimum 90 credits) or more of an approved course of studies leading to an undergraduate degree from a degree-granting institution.

Indigenous Canadian Applicant:

If you are Indigenous, you may apply in either the Regular or the Indigenous Canadian applicant category. See the Indigenous Applicants page for more information.

Special Consideration Applicant:

Include details about your circumstances in the "Special Facts" text box of the application (max 4000 characters).

Because of special circumstances in life, your application may not be as competitive as a regular applicant and you may seek admission under the Special Consideration category. Examples of special circumstances in life include disability or special needs, financial disadvantage, age (over 30), membership in a historically disadvantaged group, residency in a small and/or remote community, or any other factors that you would ask the Admissions Committee to consider. Please provide a reason for your lower than average LSAT or GPA, and explain how you have overcome your circumstances and are now able to succeed in law school. 

 How can an applicant prepare academically for law school? What courses should an applicant take in their undergraduate degree?

The type of undergraduate degree you select is not important to us. We encourage you to complete a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline that you enjoy. We find that students who enjoy what they learn, likely get better grades. TRU Law accepts students into the faculty from a variety of academic disciplines, which creates an enriched and diverse environment in the law school. You can expect that students in your class will come from a variety of undergraduate, social, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds.

 Where do I send my transcripts?

Only official transcripts will be accepted, and they must be sent directly from the granting institution. If you are in the process of completing your Fall semester, please wait until your final fall grades are posted before requesting your post-secondary institution to send us your transcripts. Your application will not be assessed until those grades are completed and received.

Official electronic copies can be sent to (if using MyCreds type in our email address).

If the institution is sending hard copies, please have them sent to:

Admissions, Faculty of Law

Thompson Rivers University

805 TRU Way

Kamloops, BC, V2C 0C8

 Do I need to have a copy of my final winter grades sent in after the February 10th submission deadline?

No. We require all your grades completed by December 31, of the year prior to the intake year (ie. if applying for Fall 2025, we would require final transcripts for grades completed by December 31, 2024).

 What is the last Law School Admission Test (LSAT) I can write to be considered for admission?

Your LSAT must be written by January of the intake year.

Be sure to note on your application when you will be taking the LSAT and include your LSAC ID number.  If you are writing the January LSAT, we will only review your file if a prior score is competitive, otherwise, we'll wait for the January score to become avaialble.

 Which LSAT score do we use?

Your highest LSAT score completed by January of the intake year. 

 How can an applicant register for the LSAT?

To register for the LSAT, please visit

 Are letters of reference required?

Yes. You will need two letters of reference. Reference letters should be one to two pages in length. All reference letters must be forwarded directly by the referees via email to - please ensure your first and last name appear in the subject line.

Applicants are responsible for requesting letters from their referees. TRU Law does not reach out to them to request a letter. 

Non-academic references should be written by someone who has had interactions with you in a professional capacity. Examples of non-academic references include a current employer, a former employer, or an individual from an organization that you have volunteered with. Applicants are encouraged to avoid non-academic references from family members.

 What should my personal statement say about me?

Through the personal statement, members of the admissions committee attempt to develop some insight into your history, experience, and character.

TRU Faculty of Law is interested in selecting excellent candidates who will thrive and succeed in law school and beyond. TRU law students and graduates have in a short time built a reputation as self-starting, resilient, collaborative, and ethically-centred.

We are proud of a student body that is representative of Canada’s diverse population, and we produce graduates who serve communities throughout British Columbia and the nation. We are committed to improving access to legal education and legal services for Canada's Indigenous peoples, and also for communities throughout the interior of the province.

We invite you to identify any ways in which your background, interests, and ambitions align with any of the objectives of the Faculty of Law and will contribute to the vibrant culture and continued success of the law school and its growing body of graduates. Your personal statement should be no longer than 750 words.

 How do I check if all my documents have been received?

Be sure to visit your myTRU account to check the status of your application and see if anything is missing. You’ll need your TRU ID number to log in, so be sure to check your junk mail if you do not receive it via email within 3-5 business days of applying. If you have applied in previous years, your TRU ID number has not changed and so you WILL NOT receive an email after you apply. If you have trouble logging in, please reach out to our IT Department at

Please do not contact us to ask if documents have arrived if you haven't applied yet. 


 How much are tuition and fees?

$11,305.20 for tuition and fees per semester (2023/24 school year), for a total of $22,610.40 for the first year. Please note, tuition and fees tend to go up by about 2% per year. This does not include the cost of books or $248 for the Health & Dental Plan. International student fees for 1L (2023/24) come to $44,217.40 per year.

Program details

 Does TRU Law offer a part-time or an online degree program?

No. The JD program at TRU Law is a full-time, 3-year program. First-year students can expect to have classes Monday through Friday.

 How many years is the full-time JD program?

It is a three-year degree program.

 What are my job prospects after graduating from TRU Law, and what support and opportunities will I receive along the way and after graduation?

Most TRU Law students choose to article after graduation. In the past five years, 96-98% of students known to be seeking articles reportedly secured them within nine months of graduation. Our students have been successful in obtaining positions in private practice, including with well-known regional, national, and international law firms. They’ve obtained clerkship positions with various Canadian courts, and they’ve obtained jobs with government employers, non-profits, and corporations.

Students at TRU Law, as well as TRU Law alumni, receive year-round support from the TRU Law Career Services Office, which provides career-related information and services to connect students and recent graduates with the legal community.

For details about job placements, please see our Employment Outcomes page.

Additional questions

  What is the minimum GPA I require to apply to TRU Law? What about the LSAT?

There is no minimum GPA or LSAT required to apply, however, this is a competitive program, so the stronger your grades and LSAT score are, the more likely you are to be accepted.

The GPA has a weight of 60% and is calculated using your 20 most recent undergrad academic courses, (converted to TRU’s 4.33 grade scheme, if applicable). The LSAT has a weight of 40%. Bonus points can be added to your score during the holistic review process taking higher education such as a Master, PhD, Grad Diploma, etc. into consideration, plus your CV, reference letters, and statement.

Due to this holistic process, the LSAT and GPA ranges vary greatly, since other factors are considered. Grades of at least an A- and scores of at least 158 tend to be average, though there are successful candidates with scores higher and lower than those averages, due to the holistic review. Please note that our averages can and do change each year. A score that may have been sufficient in years past, may not be strong enough the following year.

  What happens if my documentation arrives prior to the receipt of my application?

For reference letters, it's not a problem. For trancripts sent to, it's not a problem. For all other transcripts, we won't be able to track if they have arrived until after your application comes through. 

  Do you look at all my grades or do you eliminate any credits?

The Admissions Committee will see all of your grades from your post-secondary institutions, however, only the most recent 20 academic undergraduate courses will be used to calculate the admissions GPA.

We do not drop any of those grades.

  Some of my courses were graded on a pass/fail system, how will this affect my application?

Since pass/fail grades do not provide us with enough information about your abilities, these courses are not considered when calculating your GPA.

 Does applying early increase my chance of an offer?

Not necessarily. Completed files will be reviewed first. If they are competitive, they will receive an early offer, if not, you’ll hear back from us later in the cycle.

  Does the law program have an exchange program?

Yes. Please take a look at our European exchange school partners here.

  Can I speak with a current student?

Yes of course! Our students are happy to chat with you. Please reach out to a TRU Law Ambassador here.

 I have been accepted into TRU Law for first-year law, do I need to register in any classes or how does registration work?

No. We will register you into all of your first-year courses. You will be able to see your schedule in late June on your MyTRU portal.

  Does TRU have a mature student admissions category?


  When can I expect to be notified if I have been accepted, waitlisted, or declined?

Some offers will be sent out as early as November. We hope to have all files reviewed by the end of April each year. Please note that this is subject to the number of applications each year and staffing levels.

Only complete files get reviewed. If your file remains incomplete at the end of February, your file will not be reviewed.


After receiving your offer

 Where will the classes be held?

All classes will be on the Thompson Rivers University campus in Kamloops, British Columbia. View our map.

 When is payment of tuition and fees due?

Tuition for the Faculty of Law is due on August 30, 2024.

 What resources are available for students at TRU?
 What housing options are available for students at TRU?

Find Off-Campus Housing resources here.

Students interested in TRU’s On-Campus Housing should visit TRU Housing

 Where can I locate childcare resources?

There are a number of options available in Kamloops for child care. Parents electing off-site daycare options have a variety of alternatives in most communities. These are a few resources:

TRU offers an on-campus daycare centre.

 How do I qualify for financial aid?

Information about financial aid can be found at TRU Financial Aid, or by contacting the Financial Aid office at 250-828-5024.

 Are health services available on campus for students at TRU?

TRU Students have access to medical and health services on campus. The clinic on campus is located in the Old Main Building – Lower Level. For further information about health-related services, please visit Health and Safety or TRUSU Health & Dental

 How do I find a family physician in Kamloops?

For a listing of Kamloops doctors accepting new patients, visit College of Physicians and Surgeons of BC or call the Royal Inland Hospital at 250-374-5111.

 What activities and events does the City of Kamloops and surrounding areas have to offer?

Request more information