Bachelor of Computing Science
Statistics and values are gathered from BC Student Outcomes, you can view more details and stats by using the BC Student Outcomes Data Viewer
This degree is designed for a wide range of candidates, including:
- Graduates of any (non-computing) undergraduate program in arts, business, education, engineering or science wishing to obtain a second degree in computing science.
- Graduates of a two- or three-year diploma program in computing, management information systems or information science.
- Students currently enrolled in a TRU science program.
- Graduates of a BCS degree or any undergraduate computing program wishing to upgrade their knowledge and skills.
- Individuals wishing to enter a career involving computer-based systems with special emphasis on small- and medium-sized companies and organizations.
- Pre-calculus 12 or Foundations of Mathematics 12 with a minimum of C+ (or equivalent)
- English Studies 12/English First Peoples 12 with a minimum of 73% (or equivalent)
Students are recommended to have the above pre-requisites.
A minimum of 15 TRU credits (distance or on-campus)
120 credits total, at least 45 of which must be upper-level, with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0, are required as follows:
Lower Level Requirements
- COMP 1131, Computer Programming 1 (3)
- COMP 1231, Computer Programming 2 (3)
- MATH 1701, Discrete Mathematics 1 (3)
- ENGL 1101, Introduction to University Writing (3)
- CMNS 1291, Introduction to Professional Writing (3)
- MATH 1651, Mathematics for Computing Science (3)
- 3 credits in any course excluding science
- 9 credits in any course excluding computing science
- COMP 2131, Introduction to Computer Systems (3)
- COMP 2231, Data Structures and Algorithms (3)
- COMP 2161, Mobile Application Development 1 (3)
- COMP 2211, Programming Methods (3)
- COMP 2681, Web Site Design and Development(3)
- COMP 2921, Software Architecture and Design (3)
Students should address the recommended prerequisites for each course before registration and must ensure all program requirements have been achieved prior to graduation.
Upper Level Requirements
- COMP 3261, Internet and Security Issues (3)
- COMP 3271, Computer Networks (3)
- COMP 3411, Operating Systems (3)
- COMP 3521, Software Engineering (3)
- COMP 3541, Web Design and Programming (3)
- COMP 3611, Database Systems (3)
- COMP 3451, Human-Computer Interaction Design (3)
- COMP 3711, Applied Artificial Intelligence (3)
- COMP 4911, Computing Science Project (3)
- 15 upper-level credits in Computing Science
- 3 credits general elective open upper level credits
- Non-science elective
- Non-computing science electives (9 credits)
- Upper level elective
- General electives (27 credits)