Share your Open Learning Story with us
Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Formal Transfer Credit

2. Formal Transfer Credit

2.1 Certificate, Diploma, and Degree Programs

  1. Transcripts are evaluated for all studies taken through an accredited or similarly recognized educational institution.

    In BC, accredited institutions, including those that are: listed in the online BC Transfer Guide; members of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada; or publicly funded.

    Outside Canada, institutions that are recognized by accrediting bodies within the country of origin are considered on an individual basis.

  2. Transfer credit is considered for all qualifying courses passed according to the standards of a sending institution that is recognized by TRU-OL.

  3. The applicant must declare all formal studies from all previously attended post-secondary institutions and professional associations at the time of initial application for transcript assessment. The applicant must arrange for official transcripts from all previously attended post-secondary institutions and professional associations to be sent to TRU-OL.

    If all formal studies are not declared at the time of initial application, a further documentation fee is charged. Further penalties may be imposed such as:

    1. invalidation of the previously issued university program plan;
    2. refusal of admission into programs offered through TRU-OL; or
    3. requirement to withdraw from a program.

  4. Transfer credit is awarded only on the basis of official transcripts that have been sent directly to TRU-OL by the institution or transcripts that represent appropriately authenticated copies. All documents submitted, unless considered irreplaceable, become the property of TRU-OL.

  5. Authenticated translation is required of documents (official transcripts) in a language other than English or French.

  6. Other formal studies may be considered for credit on an individual basis.

  7. Credit may be granted on a course-by-course basis or for a combination of courses. Credit granted for a group of courses or an entire program is known as "block transfer."

  8. Assessed transfer credit is applied on the basis of its applicability to a specific program.

  9. Students changing programs or requiring information about how previous education may transfer to another TRU-OL program must apply in writing for a re-evaluation of their transcripts. A program reassessment fee may apply.

  10. Normally, there is no time limit on the transfer of courses. However, in some subject areas and for some programs, courses taken over seven years previously are not automatically awarded transfer credit. Currency of the subject matter is taken into account.

  11. Programs often change and students who have declared a program and had a program plan prepared but have not registered in program courses in any two-year period may be required to fulfill the program’s new requirements. In cases where students have had an initial assessment of transfer credit and where the program has changed, current program planning fees will be charged, and the seven-year rule on age of credit may apply (see 'J' above).

  12. Past courses from another post-secondary institution are given credit provided they were transferable in the year taken.

  13. In cases where TRU-OL offers an equivalent course, the current course number is assigned. In cases where TRU-OL no longer offers the course, unassigned credit is given, as appropriate.

  14. TRU-OL manages requests for transfer credit assessment for college or university courses completed at high schools in the same manner as any other request. There is no penalty for dual credit, that is, credit that is used toward completion of both a high-school and a college or university program.

  15. Courses that have received course-by-course or block transfer credit are recorded on the student's TRU transcript. Grades for transferred courses are used to calculate the program GPA but do not appear on the transcript.

2.2 Multiple Certificates and Diplomas

    A minimum of 15 credits is required for a certificate (some certificates require 30 or more credits). A minimum of 60 credits is required for a diploma. Credits earned in a preceding credential may not automatically apply to a credential requiring a greater number of credits or a higher-level credential.

2.3 Second Credentials

    Credits used to meet the requirements of an undergraduate credential, through TRU-OL or elsewhere, may be used to meet a maximum of 50% of the total requirements of a second undergraduate qualification at the same or lower level provided the second qualification is in a different subject area. All requirements for completion of the second qualification must be met. Regulation 2.1.J. does not apply.

2.4 Multiple Undergraduate Degrees

A minimum of 120 credits is required for the first undergraduate degree, and a minimum of 60 additional credits is required for all subsequent undergraduate degrees. The student can use credits only once toward a further degree. The degrees taken must be in different areas and approved by the dean (or designate) accountable for the program. There should be no limit to the number of degrees taken under these rules.

2.5 Letters of Permission

Students applying to take courses at other institutions for credit toward a credential offered through TRU-OL must obtain prior written permission with a Letter of Permission. The Letter of Permission Request form is available from Student Services.

2.6 Transfer Credit from Master's Degree Programs

There is no limit on the amount of credit that can be used from an uncompleted and expired master’s degree program toward the completion of a credential offered through TRU-OL.

2.7 Procedures: Application for Transcript Assessment

  1. Students applying for transcript assessment are required to complete and submit the Program Admission form, with applicable fees, and arrange for the submission of supporting documents (official transcripts).

  2. Completed Program Admission forms may be submitted to TRU-OL electronically, by mail, or by fax. Forms are available on this website, on the BC Post-secondary Application service (EducationPlannerBC) website and from Student Services.

  3. If application for transcript assessment is being made for courses taken outside BC, a course syllabus or calendar from the institution may be required. Course syllabuses or calendars in a language other than English must be translated to English at the student’s expense.

  4. Students submitting documents from institutions outside Canada may be required to have their documents evaluated by an accredited international credential evaluation service such as

  5. The appropriate transcript assessment fee must accompany all requests involving documents originating both within and outside BC. Documents from Yukon institutions listed in the online BC Transfer Guide are treated as being from BC. (Note: Permanent residents of BC who have completed secondary/high school courses in BC and are applying for transfer credit toward an ABE credential are exempt from this fee.)

  6. Assessment of transcripts does not commence until all required fees have been received with all transcripts declared on the Program Admission form

  7. Fees are non-refundable and cannot be applied toward any other assessment fee charged by TRU-OL.

  8. No further assessment fees are charged to registered students who have been issued a Letter of Permission or where prior agreement has been reached between institutions, except for cases in which a student requests to have transcripts assessed against a different credential.

Search To Top