Students study the theories and practice of professional organizational communication, learning
the importance of effective communication to meeting goals, developing and maintaining
relationships and the overall facilitation of work. Students develop skills in evaluating
communication scenarios, designing communication strategies that meet goals and audience need,
including requests, information sharing and persuasion. In addition, students learn to employ
writing techniques and editorial skills relevant to professional communication contexts.
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
- Write with grammar and style suitable to a professional context.
- Analyze communication scenarios and design appropriate professional communication documents
that are responsive to goal, context and audience need.
- Explain the best practice strategies for producing rhetorically and stylistically effective
- Explain the purpose of and produce different communication strategies, including request,
response, information sharing, and persuasion.
- Explain best practice strategies for and produce effective visual support for professional
- Explain the purpose of and produce properly formatted emails, memos, letters and short
CMNS 1291: Introduction to Professional Writing includes the following 10 modules:
- Module 1: Introduction to Professional Writing
- Module 2: The Writing Process
- Module 3: How to Write Clearly and Effectively
- Module 4: Straightforward Messages
- Module 5: Delivering Unwelcome News
- Module 6: Persuasive Messages
- Module 7: Graphics and Visuals
- Module 8: Informal Reports
- Module 9: Proposals
- Module 10: Formal Reports
Required text and materials
Students will receive the following:
- Meyer, C. (2017). Communicating for results: A Canadian student’s guide. (4th edition)
Oxford University Press.
Type: Custom Reprint ISBN: 9780199016730
Note: This Custom Reprint is an exact copy of the original textbook ISBN:
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Writing Exercises Part One
|Assignment 2: Writing Exercises Part Two
|Assignment 2: Effective Writing
|Assignment 3: Straightforward Messages
|Assignment 4: Appropriate Responses
|Assignment 5: Short Report
|Assignment 6: Proposal
|Assignment 7: Formal Report
|Final Exam (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of your course.