Students not intending to complete a program through TRU-OL may register directly for most courses.
Registration policy and related procedures are under review and subject to alteration or amendment without prior notice. Contact Student Services for updates.
- 4.1 Credit-free Option
- 4.2 Cancellations - TRU-OL
- 4.3 Cancellations - UVic
- 4.4 Withdrawals - TRU-OL
- 4.5 Withdrawals - UVic
- 4.6 Returning Course Materials - TRU-OL
- 4.7 Returning Course Materials - UVic
- 4.8 Extensions - TRU-OL
- 4.9 Course Repeaters - TRU-OL and UVic
4.1 Credit-free Option
- Students who plan to pursue the audit option must declare their intention at the time of course registration.
- An Audit grade and 0 (zero) credits appear on a student's transcript.
- Students who register for the credit option or the audit option and then want to change options must cancel their registration or withdraw from the course (4.2 and 4.4).
4.2 Cancellations - TRU-OL
- Students may cancel their registration in most TRU-OL-delivered self-paced, independent-study courses by submitting the online Course Cancellation form to TRU-OL Student Records within five weeks from their registration date, subject to clauses C and D below. The course does not appear on their transcript.
- Students may normally cancel their registration for paced, shorter-duration courses up to the end of the first week of the course, subject to clauses C and D below. The course does not appear on their transcript.
- Students may cancel their registration in a science lab course by the first day of the month in which the lab begins.
- A course registration cannot be cancelled if an assignment has been submitted, a lab or practicum has started, or an examination has been written.
- Registration cancellation deadlines for clinical courses are available in the course information. Contact Student Services for more information.
- Students may request to cancel their course registration by accessing the form online and via myTRU, by regular mail, email, or fax.
- Students who submit their request within eligible deadlines receive a 100% refund of tuition fees. The course administration, technology and other course fees are non-refundable. Refer to 4.6 for materials refunds eligibility.
- Students who cancel their registration in a lab course as per 4.2.B. receive a 100% refund of their tuition fee and a 75% refund of their lab fees. The course administration, technology and other course fees are non-refundable. Refer to 4.6 for materials refunds eligibility.
- Tuition refunds are not processed until the web form or print form to cancel a course registration is received by Student Records.
4.3 Cancellations - UVic
- Students may request to cancel their registration in a TRU-OL course delivered by UVic by accessing the online form, by regular mail, email or fax. Students may cancel their registration in a course delivered by UVic and receive 100% of their tuition fees as a refund by notifying TRU-OL Student Services by the end of the first week in which the course began. The course administration, technology and other course fees are non-refundable.
4.4 Withdrawals - TRU-OL
- Students may formally withdraw from most self-paced, independent-study courses up to the end of week 13 of the course and by the end of week 7 for paced courses and receive a "W" (Withdrawal) grade.
- Students who do not formally withdraw within 13 weeks of their self-paced, independent study course start date, and within 7 weeks of their paced course start date and who complete some but not all mandatory coursework by the course completion date receive a final grade of "DNC" (Did Not Complete) as per Final Grades policy Grading Systems - ED 3-5 (PDF, 261 KB).
- Courses that are less than two months in duration, labs or clinical courses, and courses in which students have written an examination do not qualify for a "W" (Withdrawal) grade. Students receive an "DNC" (Did Not Complete) grade if they do not complete the course requirements by the course completion date.
- Students may apply to the TRU-OL Office of the Registrar for a withdrawal on medical or exceptional grounds provided they do so before their course completion date and include
- Students may request to withdraw from a course by accessing the form online via myTRU,
by regular mail, email or fax.
- Students who withdraw from a course do not receive a tuition refund.
- The course administration, technology, and course materials fees are non-refundable.
4.5 Withdrawals - UVic
- Students may formally withdraw from TRU-OL courses delivered by UVic up to the end of week five of the course. Students will receive a "W" (Withdrawal) grade.
- Students may request to withdraw from a TRU-OL course delivered by UVic by accessing the form online, by regular mail, email or fax.
4.6 Returning Course Materials - TRU-OL
Students may return course materials purchased from TRU-OL. Returned course materials may be eligible for refund or replacement based upon the following conditions:
- Course Cancellations:
Students cancelling their course(s) under TRU-OL Policy 4.2 may return their course materials for a full refund.
- In resale condition (like new).
- Completely unmarked (no markings, including highlighting, names, erasures, grime or bent pages, covers, or spines).
- Package must be postmarked within one week of the course cancellation period.
- Bundled items are sold as a unit, not individually. Items that arrived bundled must all be returned in new condition in order to qualify for a refund. Any textbook or bundle containing a media item such as a DVD, CD or access code that has been opened will not qualify for a refund.
- Course Withdrawals:
Students withdrawing from their course(s) and receiving a grade of "W" may return their course materials for refund consideration, providing the course materials are:
- Still being used in current TRU-OL course offerings.
- In resale condition (like new).
- General Return of Items:
Students may return course materials for refund consideration within five weeks of their course(s) start date, providing the course materials are:
- In resale condition (like new).
- Defective or Incorrectly Shipped Items:
- Students that identify defective or incorrectly shipped items may return items for replacement by contacting Student Services at 1.800.663.9711 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Materials Return Method
- Course materials must be returned using the following method:
- Prepaid to:
- TRU, Open Learning
- Materials Distribution Centre
- 805 TRU Way, Kamloops, BC V2C 0C8
- Other return methods are not accepted for course materials refunds.
- Prepaid to:
- The materials refund is calculated as the amount paid for each eligible item in the return.
- A refund is processed normally within four weeks of receipt of materials.
- No refund is given for items that do not meet all conditions noted above. Students should not return course materials to TRU-OL unless items meet all conditions. Items that are not eligible for refund will not be returned to students.
- Returned course materials become the property of TRU-OL and will not be returned to a student, regardless of whether or not a refund is issued.
- It is not necessary to return course materials to receive a tuition refund for a course. Students may keep any course materials they have purchased.
- The Shipping and handling fee charged for the shipping and handling of course packages will not be refunded.
4.7 Returning Course Materials - UVic
- Textbook fees that were paid to UVic are refundable, subject to the deadlines and conditions as determined by those institutions. Students are responsible for knowing about the conditions governing textbook refunds at the time of their purchase.
4.8 Extensions - TRU-OL Policy
- In order to ensure maximum student success and responsible use of resources, the Open Learning Division of Thompson Rivers University (TRU) may allow students to extend the duration of their course. Refer to the full policy at:
- Course Extensions (for Open Learning Courses Only) - ED 3-12 (PDF, 445 KB)
4.9 Course Repeaters - TRU-OL and UVic
- Refer to the full policy at:
- Course and Program Repeaters - ED 3-3 (PDF, 222 KB)