Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Registration FAQ

How do I register for a course?
  • Register for a course online. Add a course to your cart and proceed to checkout.
  • By phone to Student Services at 250-852-7000 (Kamloops) or 1-800-663-9711 (toll-free in Canada) with credit card, any weekday 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. PST (Pacific Standard Time), excluding statutory holidays; use this method for re-registration
  • By fax to Student Services at 1-250-852-6405, with credit card and a completed Course Registration form
  • By mail to TRU, Open Learning Admissions, 805 TRU Way, Kamloops, BC V2C 0C8, with credit card, cheque, money order, student loan, grant or sponsorship and a completed Course Registration form
Once I have registered for a course or applied for a program and paid fees, when do I receive my TRU student ID number and password?
  • Online registration: immediately by email
  • Phone or fax registration: in approximately five business days by email
  • Program application (any method): after acceptance into the program
What is the difference between online and print delivery ?

For online courses, the course content is provided using an online platform called Moodle. This is where assignments are submitted. Required textbooks and materials will be shipped to the student’s address upon registration.

For print courses, all course content, required textbooks and materials will be mailed to the student. Assignments are mailed to the instructor. Print courses are suitable for students who do not have access to a computer or internet.

The required text and materials list (available on the course description page) will be mailed once registered for either delivery method.

I registered, but how do I switch from print to online or vice versa?

Cancel or withdraw from the course, then re-register in the format you want.

Who do I contact with questions about course registration—changes, withdrawals or cancellations, course extensions, exam schedule and so on?
How do I register for a course without materials?
  • Add a course to your cart and proceed to checkout
  • Uncheck the blue box in order to opt out of materials
  • If the box is greyed out, follow the instructions to be manually registered. Make a payment for the tuition and course fees amount only.
Who do I contact when I get errors using the Register Now system or myTRU?

Password reset: contact IT Service Desk

Other errors: include a problem description and your name and student ID in an email to IT Service Desk or phone 1-888-852-8533

How can I get manually registered if I am getting a Repeat Error, Academic Status error?

Look up the cost of the course using the Open Learning Course Search.

  • Select the course and select for Costs - Calculate.
  • Make a payment for this amount using myTRU - Make a payment. Select the term with OL Division (View Only) and follow the prompts to complete the payment.
  • Check Update Your Contact Information in myTRU to ensure your mailing address is correct for the required text and materials shipment.
  • Call Student Services at 1-800-663-9711 or 250-852-7000 to complete your registration. Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. PST, excluding all statutory holidays.

Alternatively, you may call the TRU Cashier at 250-371-5646 ext. 6, providing your student number and request to make a payment. After speaking with the cashier, you can request to be transferred to Enrolment Services to complete your registration.

What happens when I register in an Open Learning course delivered by UVic?

Open Learning sends you a welcome message, including contact details for your course, confirming your registration. UVic contacts you prior to the course start date about the course materials.

How do I apply for Open Learning program admission?

Fill in the Program Admission form and send it to Open Learning Admissions or complete your application through EducationPlannerBC, and pay the program plan fee.

How do I log in to myTRU?

Go to myTRU and log in. If you have forgotten your login name and password, contact IT Service Desk.

How do I cancel my Open Learning registration or withdraw from a course?

See the registration policy, then contact Student Services to see if you are eligible.

How do I cancel my registration or withdraw from an Open Learning course delivered by UVic?

Complete the Cancellation/Withdrawal Request form and submit it to Open Learning Student Services. Then contact the UVic department associated with your course.

What if course materials are missing for my course?

If you have paid for course materials but they seem to be missing, contact Student Services.

The shipping address noted in my Welcome Letter email is wrong, can I update this myself?

If your address is incorrect and you spot this within 24 hours of receiving the Welcome Letter email, log in to myTRU, go to Update Your Contact Information and update your current address.

Search To Top