In the following video, TRU-OL graduate Sandra Frangiadakis states how PLAR helped her complete her degree:
Open Learning and TRU Campus Students in Business and Economics
The following steps apply to you if you are currently enrolled in a TRU-OL or SoBE (School of Business Education) program (certificate, diploma or degree) and have a Program Plan (a document that tracks transfer credits, courses completed and courses remaining).
Main Steps for Portfolio-Based Assessment
- Complete a Knowledge Resumé (PDF, 355 KB) to have your PLAR potential assessed.
- The PLAR Committee assesses your Knowledge Resumé (this is a free service).
- If the PLAR Committee approves your Knowledge Resumé, you submit your PLAR application and payment.
- Develop your portfolio.
- The PLAR Committee assesses your portfolio.
- You are awarded PLAR credits.
Main Steps for Challenge Exams
- Choose a course for which you want to take a challenge exam and ask your Program Advisor to see if that course fits your program requirements.
- Contact a PLAR Advisor, who checks to see if a challenge exam for that course is available.
- If the challenge exam is available, you receive an exam information sheet.
- Pay the challenge exam fee.
- Contact the Exams Department to schedule the exam.
- PLAR credits are awarded upon your successful completion of the exam.
Main Steps for Credit Bank
- Refer to the Credit Bank to determine if you are eligible for PLAR credits for previous education or training from the selected employers, private training organizations, non-credit continuing studies and/or professional associations listed.
- Contact a PLAR Advisor to discuss what to do next.
- If your previous education or training is not listed on the Credit Bank, contact a PLAR Advisor to explore your options.
TRU Campus Students
Please refer to the following page: PLAR for TRU Campus Students.
- Apply for and enrol in a program.
- Once you are enrolled, contact a PLAR Advisor to have your non-accredited and/or informal learning evaluated.
- For assistance with program-related questions or to discuss transfer credit, contact a Program Advisor, as follows:
- Apply to a program and arrange for any transcripts you may have from all previous post-secondary institutions attended to be sent to our Admissions department.
- Follow the steps in the previous section For Current TRU-OL and Business Students.
Please contact the PLAR Advisors if you have any questions about PLAR or the PLAR process:
Nicole Borhaven and Shyann Vosper
1-800-663-9711 ext. 6820 or ext. 6373 (toll-free in Canada)
250-852-6820 or 250-852-6373 (Kamloops and International)