Advanced Programmable Logic Controllers
This course takes the student beyond the entry level and introduce them to more advance topics such as analogue signal handling, more sophisticated instructions than just timers and counters, as well as how discrete and analogue values can be passed from one Programmable Logic Controllers to another. Basic topics such as serial and Ethernet communications will be included in the course.
Industry experience or completion of level three portion of the Water Treatment Technology program. WTTP 2701 is recommended.
- Describe analog I/O cards and the signals they use
- Describe how to use data manipulation PLC programming instructions
- Describe how to use PID instructions
- Describe how to use math instructions and PLC programming
- Analyze a process control system controlled by a PLC
- Describe Serial communication standards
- Describe Ethernet communications
- Describe how PLCs may be networked together
- Section 1: Analogue I/O
- Section 2: Advanced PLC Instructions
- Section 3: PLC Serial Communications
- Section 4: PLC Communication Networks
Maximum Completion30 weeks.
Required Text and Materials
Borden, T. R., & Cox, R. A.. Technicians Guide to Programmable Controllers. ISBN: 978-1-111-54409-6. Clifton Park, NY: Thomson Delmar Learning, 2013.
Type: 6th Edition
Students require a computer and internet access.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is by phone or email. Students will receive a welcome letter or email from the Open Learning Faculty Member providing contact information when starting the course.
In order to complete this course successfully,, students must obtain at least 50 per cent on the final mandatory examination and in the course overall.
Students taking this course and applying it towards a Certificate I, II, or III or Water Treatment Diploma must obtain a minimum 60% average in the course overall to meet program requirements.
The final assessment will be determined on the following basis.