AVAILABLE IN CANADA ONLY FOR STUDENTS ENROLLED IN THE VETERINARY TECHNOLOGY DIPLOMA OPEN
Students are introduced to effective veterinary management skills with a focus on fostering
professional communication within a veterinary environment. With both a theoretical and
hands-on approach, veterinary technology students will learn how to effectively employ
communication strategies through a variety of methods.
- Demonstrate proficiency in professional oral and written communication within the
- Examine the parameters of professional ethics and understand professional association
- Perform generalized practice management skills within a veterinary office environment.
- Perform basic functions using veterinary practice software.
- Examine stress management and alternative techniques to assist with mental health within
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of medical records to manage a veterinary hospital, using
- Discuss and recognize animal welfare related topics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper kennel management and sanitation in a veterinary facility.
Module 1: Professionalism and Communications
Module 2: Stress Management
Module 3: Patient Records
Module 4: Professional Ethics and Associations
Module 5: Animal Welfare
Module 6: Practice Management
Module 7: The Veterinary Facility
Module 8: Finances
Module 9: Kennel Management and Hospital Sanitation
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Bassert, J.M. (2018) McCurnin’s clinical textbook for veterinary technicians (10th
Type: Textbook. ISBN: 9780323722001
The following textbooks are optional for this course:
- VanAlstyne, J. S. (2004). Professional and technical writing strategies: Communicating
in technology and science (6th ed.). Pearson.
Type: Textbook. ISBN:
- Studdert, V. P., & Gay, C. C. (2020). Saunders comprehensive veterinary
dictionary (5th ed.). Elselvier.
Type: Textbook. ISBN: 978-0-7020-7463-9
Note: This textbook is also available as an e-text.
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
To successfully complete this course, you must achieve a passing grade of 60% or higher on
the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Exam.
|Assignment 1: Personal Reflection on Stress Management
|Assignment 2: Group Discussion—Animal Welfare and Ethics
|Assignment 3: Leadership Personality Assessment
|Assignment 4: My Workplace Facility
|Assignment 5: Hospital Sanitation
|Final Exam (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of your course.