Learners develop an understanding of the function and patient application of respiratory
therapy equipment. Topics include medical gases and their delivery systems, humidity and
aerosol devices, artificial airways and airway management devices, resuscitators, patient
monitoring devices, and suction.
- Describe the use, properties, and manufacturing of compressed gases and their delivery
- Explain equipment decontamination and sterilization processes and describe the necessary
precautions to ensure infection control and patient safety. Identify the need to
decontaminate and sterilize equipment and describe the necessary precautions to ensure
infection control and patient safety.
- Describe the use, types, and characteristics of humidity and aerosol devices.
- Describe the use, types, and characteristics of airway and suction equipment.
- Describe the use, types, characteristics, and indications of resuscitators.
- Outline types of respiratory diagnostic and monitoring devices.
- Module A: Physical Properties of Gases and Principles of Gas Movement
- Module B: Decontamination and Sterilization of Equipment
- Module C: Manufacture, Storage, and Piping of Compressed Gases
- Module D: Gas Delivery Systems
- Module E: Clinical Hyperbaric Oxygen Chambers
- Module F: Humidification, Aerosols, and Aerosolized Medication Delivery
- Module G: Airway and Suction Equipment
- Module H: Resuscitators
- Module I: Flow, Volume and Bedside Airway Pressure Measurement Devices
- Module J: Non-invasive Monitoring Equipment
Required text and materials
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, students are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in person approved Testing Centre. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher
on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Final examination (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.