Students explore the supervisory aspects of management, with a specific focus on effectively
motivating employees as a means of increasing productivity. Topics include motivational obstacles
and their causes; job design; leadership; goal setting and management by objectives; rewards; and
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- Understand the causes of performance problems.
- Understand how to assess the effectiveness of management practices in your organization.
- Describe several current management techniques and practices in the areas of leadership, job
design, goal setting and management by objectives, reward systems, communications and
- Workbook 1: The Causes of Motivational Problems
- Workbook 2: Job Design
- Workbook 3: Leadership
- Workbook 4: Goal Setting and Management by Objectives
- Workbook 5: Rewards
- Workbook 6: Supervisory Communications
Required text and materials
There is no required textbook for this course.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing of 50% or higher on the
overall course and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Motivational Problems
|Assignment 2: Job Design
|Assignment 3: Leadership
|Assignment 4: Goal Setting
|Assignment 5: Rewards
|Assignment 6: Communications
|Final Project *
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.