This course is designed for the working Medical Laboratory Assistant and the basic concepts
of pre-analytical histopathology including: anatomic pathology / histology specimens,
preparation for cutting, processing and accessioning. It also includes a cytology component
covering speci-men preparation, processing and accessioning.
On completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the role of the histopathology laboratory in patient care.
- Describe the forms of investigation offered by the histopathology laboratory.
- Describe the types and sources of specimens submitted to the histopathology
- Describe and perform fixations.
- Describe and perform identification of specimens.
- Describe and perform tissue processing.
- Describe and prepare slides, storage systems and perform filing.
- Describe and perform prepatory techniques in cytology.
- Describe and perfom all routine practices necessary to ensure a safe working
- Module A: Roles of the Histopathology Laboratory and its Staff in Patient Care
- Module B: Service and Types of Routine Investigation Offered by the Histopathology
- Module C: Other Forms of Investigation Offered by the Histopathology Laboratory
- Module D: Types and Sources of Specimens Submitted to the Histopathology Laboratory
- Module E: Fixation and Fixatives
- Module F: Identification of Specimens for Histopathological Examination
- Module G: Tissue Processing and Tissue Processors
- Module H: Slides, Storage Systems and Filing
- Module I: Describe Preparatory Techniques in Cytology
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
In order to successfully complete this course, students must obtain at least 50% on the final
mandatory examination and 50% overall.
Students applying this course towards any TRU Health Care program may be required to obtain a
minimum 60% on the course overall to meet program requirements.
Successful completion of the practicum to the standards specified in the Evaluation of
Competencies booklet is also required.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is
through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the
necessary contact information at start of course.