Students combine their knowledge of human resource management focusing on its alignment with organizational strategy and measurement. Human resource management systems that are aligned with strategic objectives are more capable of attracting, deploying, developing and retaining human capital and are key contributors to organizational competitiveness and success. The topics include employees and teams, talent management, performance management, human resource outsourcing, occupational health and safety, creating a healthy work environment, strategic role of human resource management, and human resource metrics and measurement.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Design jobs and teams that motive employee and team performance.
- Formulate talent management practices to meet organization skill needs.
- Create effective performance management programs.
- Consider outsourcing for human resource and non-human resource roles.
- Explain the business impact of employee health and safety in the workplace.
- Develop healthy workplace practices.
- Explain the role and importance of human resource management and its contribution to achieving strategic and financial objectives.
- Develop organizational metrics to assess human resource effectiveness.
- Assess organizations human resource practices and compare them to industry benchmarks.
1. Strategic Role of Human Resource Management
2. Employees and Teams
3. Talent Management, including Performance Management and Human Resource Outsourcing
4. Occupational Health and Safety
5. Aligning the HR System with Organizational Strategy
6. Human Resource Metrics and Measurement
Required text and materials
- Becker, B. E., Huselid, M. A., & Ulrich, D. The HR scorecard: Linking people, strategy, and performance. Harvard University Press, (2001).
Type: ISBN 13: 978-1-57851-136-5
- Dias, L. (n.d.). Human resource management [OpenEd textbook]. BCcampus,
Type: Retrieved from https://open.bccampus.ca/find-open-textbooks/?uuid=2e25dbce-a4c5-498d-a715-a00c0dbdc03e&contributor=&keyword=&subject=Human+Resources+and+Organizational+Behaviour
A computer with Internet access is required.
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, students are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in person approved Testing Centre. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory final exam.
|Assignment 1: Talent Management
|Assignment 2: Research Project
|Final Examination *
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.