Health Care Assistant
This course provides an introduction to the role of the Health Care Assistant within the British Columbia health care system. Students are introduced to the healthcare team and the roles and functions of the HCA within the system. Students will also have opportunities to develop self-reflective skills required for competent practice and will be introduced to effective job-finding approaches.
Admission to the Health Care Assistant program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- *Display an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of Health Care Assistants within the health care system in British Columbia
- *Contribute to the effective functioning of the health care team
- *Function in a responsible, accountable fashion recognizing legal and ethical parameters of the Health Care Assistant role
- *Apply self-reflection and self-appraisal processes in order to recognize and respond to your own self-development needs as a care provider
- *Confidently conduct a job-search process
*From: Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial Curriculum Guide 2015, 36-37. Province of British Columbia. https://urls.bccampus.ca/5vi. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)
- Workplace settings and contexts
- Teamwork in Health Care setting
- Legal and Ethical issues
- Professional approaches to practice
- Self-reflective practice
- Employability skills
Required Text and Materials
This is a companion course to HLTH 1051 and HLTH 1001. If you did not take HLTH 1051 and do not already own the required materials, you will need to purchase them. To do so, you may send an email to email@example.com or by phone at 1.888.663.1653. (toll free in Canada) or 250-852-7000 (local and international)
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support
Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 9781771720434
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Workbook to accompany Mosby's Canadian
Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Workbook, ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Mosby's Nursing Assistant Video Skills. 4th Edition . Elseivier/Mosby
Type: DVD, ISBN: 978-0-323-22244-0
Package ISBN: 978-1-77172-133-2 (*the package includes all items listed above)
*It is possible to complete this program with the 3rd edition of the text package.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% on the mandatory final exam and in the course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each required theory course and a COM (complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory and practicum courses to pass the program.
Students must pass each course to continue in the program. Students cannot re-write failed assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any course, will be asked to withdraw from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.
|Quiz (Lessons 1 - 3)||25%|
|Assignment 1: Ethics Case Study||10%|
|Assignment 2: Self-Reflective Practice||15%|
|Assignment 3: Resume Project||20%|
|Final Examination (Lessons 4 - 8)||30%|