HLTH 1101: Health Care Assistant: Introduction to Practice
This course provides an introduction to the role of the Health Care Assistant within the
British Columbia health care system. Students are introduced to the healthcare team and the
roles and functions of the HCA within the system. Students will also have opportunities to
develop self-reflective skills required for competent practice and will be introduced to
effective job-finding approaches.
- Display an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of Health Care Assistants
within the health care system in British Columbia.*
- Contribute to the effective functioning of the health care team.*
- Function in a responsible, accountable fashion recognizing legal and ethical parameters of
the Health Care Assistant role.*
- Apply self-reflection and self-appraisal processes in order to recognize and respond to
your own self-development needs as a care provider.*
- Confidently conduct a job-search process.*
*From: Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial
Curriculum Guide 2015, 36-37. Province of British Columbia. https://opentextbc.ca/hcasupplement/.
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)
- Workplace Settings and contexts
- Teamwork in Health Care Setting
- Legal and Ethical Issues
- Professional Approaches to Practice
- Self-reflective Practice
- Employability Skills
Required text and materials
The following materials would have been purchased in HLTH 1051. Students who did not take
HLTH 1051 and/or don't already own the required materials, will need to purchase them. To do
so, please contact Enrolment Services at email@example.com or
1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada), 250.852.7000 (Kamloops, BC), and 1.250.852.7000
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J., (2018) Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the
Support Worker. (4th edition) Elsevier/Mosby Inc.
Type: E-Textbook. ISBN:
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J., (2018) Workbook to Accompany Mosby's
Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. (4th edition) Elsevier/Mosby Inc.
Workbook. ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Clinical Skills: Skills for Nurse Assisting. (1st edition).
Elsevier/Mosby Inc., 2018.
Type: Online Access Code. ISBN: 9780323581899
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this.
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% on the
mandatory final exam and in the course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each
required theory course and a COM (complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory
and practicum courses to pass the program.
Students must pass each course to continue in the program. Students cannot re-write failed
assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any course, will be asked to withdraw
from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.
|Quiz (Lessons 1 - 3)
|Assignment 1: Ethics Case Study
|Assignment 2: Self-Reflective Practice
|Assignment 3: Resume Project
|Final Examination (mandatory) (Lessons 4 - 8)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.