Students will practice principles and techniques of mathematics and statistics that they will encounter in a veterinary practice. The emphasis will be on calculating dosages, intravenous infusions and dilution of solutions. An introduction to statistics is included to facilitate an understanding of quality control procedures. This course will help prepare students to successfully complete the Veterinary Technology National Examination.
- Explore introductory statistics and its applications.
- Practice mathematical applications of clinically relevant skills.
- Calculate veterinary dosages utilizing dimensional analysis.
- Convert numbers between different metric and imperial units in preparation for the Veterinary Technology National Examination.
- Apply a variety of measurement systems to ensure accurate calculations.
- Utilize ratio and proportion to determine drug dosages.
- Formulate solutions and infusion rates during medical procedures.
- Calculate serial dilutions used in the veterinary field.
- Math Review – Fractions, Decimals and Percentages, and Scientific Notation.
- Ratio and Proportion, Dimensional Analysis and Clinical Applications.
- Measurement Systems.
- Oral Medications, Parenteral Medication and Clinical Problems Using Dosage Calculations.
- Solutions, Dilutions and Clinical Problems.
- IV Fluids and Constant Rate Infusions.
- Statistics and Quality Control.
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Lake, T., Green, N., (2023) Essential Calculations for Veterinary Nurses and Technicians (4th ed.). Elsevier
Type: Textbook: ISBN: 9780702084010
Note: Students may use either the 3rd edition or the 4th edition of the above textbook.
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, you must achieve a passing grade of 60% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Exam.
|Quiz 1: Decimals, Fractions and Percentages
|Quiz 2: Ratio and Proportion and Dimensional Analysis
|Quiz 3: Measurement Systems
|Quiz 4: Dosage Calculations
|Quiz 5: Solution and Dilution Calculations
|Quiz 6: IV Fluid Rate & CRI Calculations
|Quiz 7: Statistics and Quality Control
|Assignment 1: Basic Mathematical Calculations
|Assignment 2: Medications, Solutions, Dilutions and Clinical Problems
|Assignment 3: IV Fluids and Constant Rate Infusion Problems
|Final Exam (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.