VTEC 1001: Veterinary Technology Terminology
Students analyze and define the components of veterinary terms. These skills enable students to determine the meaning of frequently used veterinary terms and to create new terms for specific applications. This course will help prepare students to successfully complete the Veterinary Technology National Examination for Veterinary Technologists.
- Illustrate effective use of spoken or written descriptions and explanations of medical conditions, diagnoses and treatments.
- Articulate conditions, diagnoses and treatments to clients in “layterms.”
- Accurately follow written and verbal instructions related to the care and treatment of patients.
- Record medical information accurately, concisely and succinctly.
- Discuss veterinary cases with other professionals using appropriate terms and terminology.
Unit 1: Building Words
Unit 2: The Body and Its Organ Systems
Unit 3: Domestic Animals
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Romich, J. A. (2014). An Illustrated Guide to Veterinary Medical Terminology (4th
ed.). Cengage Learning.
Type: Textbook. ISBN: 978-1-133-12576-1
The following textbook is optional for this course:
- Studdert, V.P., Gay, C.C. (2020) Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary (5th
Type: Textbook. ISBN 978-0-7020-7463-9
Note: This textbook is also available as an e-text
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, you must achieve a passing grade of 60% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Exam.
|Assignment 1: Building Words||15%|
|Quiz 1: The Body as a Whole||5%|
|Quiz 2: Integumentary and Musculoskeletal Systems||5%|
|Quiz 3: Nervous and Gastrointestinal Systems||5%|
|Quiz 4: Respiratory and Hematic and Lymphatic Systems||5%|
|Quiz 5: Cardiovascular and Urogenital Systems||5%|
|Quiz 6: Endocrine System and Oncology||5%|
|Assignment 2: Domestic Animals||15%|
|Final Exam (mandatory)||40%|
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.