NURS 3643: Principles and Skillfulness: Lab
This laboratory experience is designed for students to develop and demonstrate the day-to-day technical skills required for safe nursing practice introduced in NURS 3641. Participants are required to demonstrate knowledge of the principles of various nursing skills and to demonstrate their ability to perform skills safely. Attendance at a face-to-face laboratory workshop to demonstrate safe nursing practice in a simulated environment is required.
- To advance participant's knowledge in the safe performance of psychomotor skills common to nursing practice
- Extend participant's ability to promote safe nursing practice for self and others
- Enhance participant's ability to teach skills to others based on the principles of assigning delegating nursing tasks, evidence-informed decisions and best practice guidelines
- Promote participant's inquiry skills and resourcefulness
- Refresh participant's critical thinking in relation to math for medications
- Augment participant's communication skills
- History Taking and Physical Assessment Skills
- Medication Administration
- Medication Math
- Fluid Balance and Enteral - Parenteral Nutrition
- Airway Management and Oxygen Therapy
- Infection Control
- Wound Care
- Pain Management
- Charting - Documenting
- Health Care Informatics
Required text and materials
Required textbooks and Lab Kit for NURS 3643 have been provided in HLTH 3611 and NURS 3641.
Note: As of November 1, 2022 the lab kit is shipped to the Nursing building and is being held for you for when you take this lab. Previously to November 1, 2022 it was shipped to you and you will need to bring this kit with you for when you attend the lab.
The student will be evaluated as Complete (COM) or No Credit Granted (NCG) in this competency-based Lab. The Open Learning Faculty Member will use Skill Performance Checklists to evaluate students' completion of skills. These are pre-determined skills checklists based on pre-established key steps and elements in skills from the text book for this course. Peer evaluation will also be used to evaluate skills.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.