MNGT 4781: Strategic Management
Students explore the basic concepts and methodologies of developing and executing successful business strategies in a dynamic global environment. Effective strategy is about developing a competitive advantage. Learners develop insights into the workings of CEO and top management teams in preparation for senior positions in management. Topics include an overview of strategic management; creating competitive advantages; strategies for creating a competitive advantage; and implementing strategies.
- Perform a rigorous analysis of a company's strategic direction.
- Identify and explain a company's mission and vision statement and relate and critique these statements to the company's strategic direction.
- Prepare a SWOT analysis and explain and evaluate the relationship between the SWOT and a company's strategic direction.
- Identify and explain all micro and macro forces that shape a company's strategic plan and determine performance.
- Analyze and evaluate all the steps for the proper alignment of financial and non-financial resources within a company's strategic plan.
- Analyze a company's strategic plan in the context of the industry life cycle and environment in which it operates.
- Analyze, evaluate, and draw conclusions on the effectiveness and performance of control and integration mechanisms.
- Establish metrics to assess and measure strategic performance.
- Analyze and evaluate the company's communication and feedback loop relative to company strategy and performance.
- Analyze, evaluate, and draw conclusions on the financial performance relative to the company's strategic plan.
- Analyze, evaluate, and identify risks and risk mitigation strategies appropriate to the company's strategic direction.
- Analyze, evaluate, and develop strategies for a single or multi-business organization.
- Assess, analyze, and recommend changes to company strategy based on a full analysis of a company's strategic plan.
- Develop and prepare a strategic review document presented in a consistent form and properly documented.
- Module 1: Introduction to Strategic Management
- Module 2: Stategic Management Tools
- Module 3: Strategies for Competitive Advantage
- Module 4: Corporate Structures, Controls and Stategy Application Overview
Required text and materials
There is no required textbook for this course.
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Report on Strategic Management||15%|
|Assignment 2: Report on Annual Information Form for Blackberry or Loblaw Companies Limited||15%|
|Assignment 3: Report on a Company’s Strategy||15%|
|Assignment 4: Consultant 7S Framework Model Report||15%|
|Final Exam (mandatory)||40%|
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.