MNGT 1211: Management Principles and Practices
Students are provided a basic framework for understanding the role and functions of management and an explanation for the principles, concepts and techniques that can be used in carrying out these functions. Topics include planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling, as well as decision-making and managing change.
- Explain management, organization and the roles of managers.
- Evaluate the need for management in an organization.
- Justify the need for planning across management levels and global operations.
- Discuss the components of a strategic plan.
- Outline the steps of the decision-making process.
- Discuss organizational structures.
- Outline the components of human resource planning.
- Describe the importance of communication and information technology.
- Assess different leadership theories.
- Discuss how to motivate employees.
- Evaluate effective team development and management.
- Discuss the control process and its elements
- Discuss the current business landscape and trends.
Unit 1: Introduction to Management
Unit 2: Planning and Decision Making
Unit 3: Organizing, Communication and Human Resources
Unit 4: Leadership, Motivation and Understanding Groups and Teams
Unit 5: Controlling and Managing Innovation and Change
Required text and materials
Students require the following e-textbook, which can be purchased directly from the TRU bookstore site at: https://thebookstore.tru.ca/site_digital.asp
- Robbins, S. P., DeCenzo, D. A., Coulter, M., & Anderson, I. (2021). Fundamentals of
management (9th Canadian ed.). Pearson Education Canada.
Type: E-Textbook: ISBN-13: 9780135423677
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Exam
|Assignment 1: Management||12%|
|Assignment 2: Planning and Decision-Making||12%|
|Assignment 3: Organizing, Communication and Human Resources||12%|
|Assignment 4: Leadership, Motivation and Understanding Groups and Teams||12%|
|Assignment 5: Controlling and Managing Innovation and Change||12%|
|Final Exam (mandatory)||40%|
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.