Students examine a basic framework for understanding the role and functions of management and an explanation for the principles, concepts and techniques that can be used in carrying out these functions. Topics include planning, organizing, staffing, leading and controlling, as well as decision-making and managing change.
At the end of the course, students should be able to do the following:
- Explain management, organization and the roles of managers.
- Evaluate the need for management in an organization.
- Justify the need for planning across management levels and global operations.
- Discuss the components of a strategic plan.
- Outline the steps of the decision-making process.
- Discuss organizational structures.
- Outline the components of human resource planning.
- Describe the importance of communication and information technology.
- Assess different leadership theories.
- Discuss how to motivate employees.
- Evaluate effective team development and management.
- Discuss the control process and its elements
- Discuss the current business landscape and trends.
There are five modules.
Unit 1: Introduction to Management
- Topic 1: What Is Management and Why Is It Needed?
- Topic 2: Adding Value to the Organization
- Topic 3: Management as a System; Ethics and Social Responsibilities
- Topic 4: How the Environment Affects Managers
Unit 2: Planning and Decision Making
- Topic 1: The Importance of Planning
- Topic 2: The Components of a Strategic Plan
- Topic 3: The Decision-Making Process
Unit 3: Organizing, Communication and Human Resources
- Topic 1: Organizational Structure and Design
- Topic 2: Communication and Information Technology
- Topic 3: Human Resources
Unit 4: Leadership, Motivation and Understanding Groups and Teams
- Topic 1: Leadership Approaches and Theories
- Topic 2: Motivating Your Employees
- Topic 3: Managing Work Teams
Unit 5: Controlling and Managing Innovation and Change
- Topic 1: What is Control and Why Engage In It?
- Topic 2: Measuring, Monitoring and Modifying Information
- Topic 3: Managing Innovation and Change
Required text and materials
Robbins, S.P., DeCenzo, D.A., Coulter, M., Anderson, I. Fundamentals of Management, (8th Canadian ed.) plus MyManagementLab w/Pearson eText-Access Card Package. Toronto, ON: Pearson Education Canada, 2017.
Type: Textbook- ISBN: 978-0-13-4283593
A computer with Internet access is required.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Exam
|Assignment 1: Management
|Assignment 2: Planning and Decision-Making
|Assignment 3: Organizing, Communication and Human Resources
|Assignment 4: Leadership, Motivation and Understanding Groups and Teams
|Assignment 5: Controlling and Managing Innovation and Change
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.