Students examine the important issues facing service providers and the successful
implementation of a customer focus in service-based businesses. Topics include an overview of
services marketing; understanding the customer in services marketing; standardizing and aligning
the delivery of services; the people who deliver and perform services; managing demand and
capacity; and promotion and pricing strategies in services marketing.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the unique challenges of services marketing, including the elements of product,
price, place, promotion, processes, physical evidence, and people.
- Describe how customer relationship marketing (CRM), including retention strategies, creates
an environment that achieves excellence in customer service.
- Design service quality measurements to build customer loyalty and evaluate the effectiveness
and efficiency of customer service offerings.
- Explain service blueprinting, the integration of new technologies, and other key issues
facing today's customer service providers and service managers.
- Discuss the influences of the multicultural marketplace, business ethics, and socially
responsible marketing on services marketing.
- Conduct a services audit plan for a service firm.
- Integrate course concepts into individual performance to become better cus¬tomer service
representatives in the service environment.
Module 1: Foundations for Service Marketing
Module 2: Understanding Customer Requirements
Module 3: Aligning Service Design and Standards
Module 4: Delivering and Preforming Services
Module 5: Managing Service Promises
Required text and materials
Zeithaml, V.A., Bitner, M.J., Gremler, D.D. (2018) Services Marketing: Integrating Customer
Focus Across the Firm with Connect Access.(7th ed.). New York: NY. McGraw-Hill
Textbook: ISBN: 978-1260051988
A computer with Internet access is required.
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Company Environment and Customer Gap Analysis
|Assignment 2: Build a Service Blueprint
|Assignment 3: Service Delivery Roles
|Assignment 4: Services Audit Plan
|Assignment 5: Reflective Summary
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is
through the Learning Environment’s "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary
contact information when starting the course.