Students gain an understanding of marketing research and its value in analyzing consumers,
markets, and the environment. Topics include an overview of market research and research design,
exploratory research; descriptive research; scaling; sampling; and data analysis and reporting.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Write a management decision problem and a marketing research problem, and discuss the
differences between them.
- Clearly articulate the value in conducting exploratory research to define the research
- Collect secondary data to refine a marketing research problem.
- Plan, conduct, and interpret a focus group.
- Create a strategy for increasing survey response rates.
- Differentiate between situations that call for surveys and situations that call for
- Create and conduct a small survey, applying a wide range of survey, scale, and questionnaire
- Recommend the best sampling technique for different situations and defend that
- Create a frequency distribution and a cross-tabulation, conduct basic statistical analysis on
the data, and summarize the results in clear language.
- Write a marketing research report in APA style.
Module 1: Introduction to Marketing Research and Research Design
Module 2: Exploratory Research
Module 3: Descriptive Research
Module 4: Scaling
Module 5: Sampling
Module 6: Data Analysis and Reporting
Required text and materials
Malhotra, N. Basic Marketing Research: Integration of Social Media. 4th ed. Toronto, ON.
Pearson Education Ltd, 2012.
Type: Textbook, ISBN-13: 978-0-13-254448-1 / ISBN-10:
A computer with Internet access is required.
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, students are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in person approved Testing Centre. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Writing a Research Proposal in APA Style
|Assignment 2: Secondary Research
|Assignment 3: Focus Group Researc
|Assignment 4: Survey Research
|Assignment 5: Research Report
|Assignment 6 (Reflective Summary 10% and Discussion 5%)
|Final exam *
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.