Students gain an understanding of marketing research and its value in analyzing consumers, markets, and the environment. Topics include an overview of market research and research design, exploratory research; descriptive research; scaling; sampling; and data analysis and reporting.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Write a management decision problem and a marketing research problem, and discuss the differences between them.
- Clearly articulate the value in conducting exploratory research to define the research problem.
- Collect secondary data to refine a marketing research problem.
- Plan, conduct, and interpret a focus group.
- Create a strategy for increasing survey response rates.
- Differentiate between situations that call for surveys and situations that call for observational research.
- Create and conduct a small survey, applying a wide range of survey, scale, and questionnaire techniques.
- Recommend the best sampling technique for different situations and defend that recommendation.
- Create a frequency distribution and a cross-tabulation, conduct basic statistical analysis on the data, and summarize the results in clear language.
- Write a marketing research report in APA style.
Module 1: Introduction to Marketing Research and Research Design
Module 2: Exploratory Research
Module 3: Descriptive Research
Module 4: Scaling
Module 5: Sampling
Module 6: Data Analysis and Reporting
Required Text and Materials
Malhotra, N. Basic Marketing Research: Integration of Social Media. 4th ed. Toronto, ON.
Pearson Education Ltd, 2012.
Type: Textbook, ISBN-13: 978-0-13-254448-1 / ISBN-10: 0-13-254448-2
A computer with Internet access is required.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information when starting the course.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Writing a Research Proposal in APA Style||5%|
|Assignment 2: Secondary Research||10%|
|Assignment 3: Focus Group Researc||10%|
|Assignment 4: Survey Research||10%|
|Assignment 5: Research Report||10%|
|Assignment 6 (Reflective Summary 10% and Discussion 5%)||15%|
|Final exam *||40%|