MKTG 3451: Professional Selling

Students examine an overall analysis of the professional selling function, and gain insight into the role of personal selling in marketing and society and its applications within organizations. Topics include being a professional salesperson; knowing your product; finding customers; presenting successfully; closing sales; and managing and being managed.

Learning outcomes

After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:

  • Explain the key components, frameworks, and methods used in the selling process and in sales management
  • Develop relationship strategies, product strategies, customer strategies, and presentation strategies that advance the sale
  • Design, execute, document, and critique a comprehensive sales strategy for a real organization

Course topics

Module 1: Being a Professional Salesperson

  • Topic 1: Developing a Personal Selling Philosophy
  • Topic 2: Developing a Relationship Strategy
  • Topic 3: Building an Ethical Foundation

Module 2: Knowing Your Product

  • Topic 1: How to Add Value
  • Topic 2: Becoming a Product Expert
  • Topic 3: Features and Benefits
  • Topic 4: Product Positioning

Module 3: Finding Customers

  • Topic 1: Understanding Buyer Behaviour
  • Topic 2: Planning Your Prospecting
  • Topic 3: Generating Prospects
  • Topic 4: Building a Prospect Database

Module 4: Presenting Successfully

  • Topic 1: Pre-Approach
  • Topic 2: Approach
  • Topic 3: Consultative Sales Presentations
  • Topic 4: Sales Demonstrations

Module 5: Closing Sales

  • Topic 1: Identifying Buyer Concerns
  • Topic 2: Addressing Buyer Concerns
  • Topic 3: Closing the Sale
  • Topic 4: Building Future Sales

Module 6: Managing and Being Managed

  • Topic 1: Managing Your Time
  • Topic 2: Managing Your Sales Territory
  • Topic 3: Managing Stress
  • Topic 4: Managing a Sales Force

Required text and materials

Manning, G. L., Ahearne, M., Reece, B. L., & MacKenzie, H. F. Selling Today: Partnering to Create Value. 7th Canadian ed., includes access kit for Companion Website. Toronto, ON: Pearson, 2016.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 978-0-13-315685-0

Additional requirements

A computer with Internet access is required.


Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.

In order to successfully complete this course, students must obtain at least 50 % on the mandatory final exam and 50 % overall. It is strongly recommended that students complete all assignments in order to achieve the learning objectives of the course.

Assignment 1.1: Ethics Game Reflection 10%
Assignment 1.2: Integrated Assignment Plan (required, but no grade) 0%
Assignment 2: Product Overview 10%
Assignment 3: Develop a Prospect List 10%
Assignment 4: Prepare a Sales Presentation 10%
Assignment 5: Do a Sales Presentation and Report 10%
Assignment 6: Reflective Summary (10%), and Overall Contribution to Discussions (5%) 15%
Final Exam * 35%
TOTAL 100%

* Mandatory

Open Learning Faculty Member

An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students throughout the course. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information when starting the course.

Search To Top