This practicum course is designed to evaluate specific technical and non-technical aspects of
the Medical Laboratory Assistant's work, according to criteria and curriculum developed by the
Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS). This practicum is a competency-based
training program held at a laboratory or clinical facility. The specific length and timing of
the practicum will vary by facility.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to
- Safely and efficiently handle, process, and dispose of routine clinical specimens
(including microbiology specimens, surgical specimens, and autopsy specimens).
- Consistently and efficiently collect appropriate blood samples (including venipuncture and
- Respond appropriately to various special test requests and specimen collection
- Perform pre-analytical procedures on specimens from a variety of sources.
- Make, or demonstrate knowledge of procedure, an acceptable blood smear and stain it.
- Load specimens, or demonstrate knowledge of procedure, onto automated instruments.
- Demonstrate a professional and competent attitude with patients and staff.
- Follow safety guidelines and protocols at all times.
- Module A: General Competencies
- Module B: Blood Collection
- Module C: Special Collection Procedures
- Module D: Routine Urinalysis
- Module E: Hematology Specimens
- Module F: Microbiology Specimens
- Module G: Histopathology Procedures
- Module H: Non-Technical Evaluation
- Module I: Final Summary and Evaluation
Required text and materials
The only text resource that students need is the Competency Manual; however, students may
want to refer to the MDLB 1221/1321 course textbook Phlebotomy Essentials by McCall and
Tankersley, as well as, the Laboratory Safety CSMLS Guidelines.
This course is assessed based on the competency manual―grades will not be issued. The
transcript for MDLB 1991 will read “COM” (Complete) or “NCG” (No Credit Granted). A successful
completion of all aspects of the evaluation will result in a successful completion of this