This course provides the mathematical foundation for an introductory calculus course. In
addition to a brief review of basic algebra, students are instructed in equations and
inequalities; functions, models, and graphs; polynomial and rational functions; exponential and
logarithmic functions; trigonometric functions; and trigonometric identities and equations.
- Solve elementary algebra and geometry problems.
- Solve elementary linear inequalities problems.
- Define functions and draw their graphs
- Solve elementary inverse function problems.
- Solve polynomial, and rational functions
- Solve exponential and logarithmic problems
- Graph sinusoidal functions.
- Solve problems involving trigonometric identities and trigonometric equations.
- Formulate mathematical models using the various functions described in the course.
- Topics from Algebra
- Functions and Graphs
- Polynomial and Rational Functions
- Inverse, Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- The Trigonometric Functions
- Analytic Trigonometry
Required text and materials
Good-quality (non-programmable) scientific calculator is required.
Students may wish to source the following text on their own:
- Swokowski, E. W., & Cole, J. A. (2012). Student Solutions Manual: Precalculus:
Functions and graphs (12th ed.). Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning.
Textbook: ISBN: 9781111573508
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact email@example.com with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
Note: The final exam for this course is only available as a paper exam and must be taken in person at an approved Testing Centre. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
|Final Exam (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.