This course is equivalent to Math 12 and provides the mathematical foundation for an introductory course in calculus. Topics include a review of basic algebra; equations and inequalities; graphs of functions; polynomial, rational, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric functions; trigonometric equations and identities; conic sections; and sequences and series. This course fulfils the requirement for Provincial Level Math.
Please note, reference to MATH 12 refers to Pre-calculus 12 in the BC Curriculum.
MATH 0523 Advanced Mathematics or Grade 11 Mathematics, or equivalent. Some basic algebra is required.
Please note, reference to Grade 11 Mathematics refers to Pre-Calculus 11 in the BC Curriculum.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Review the basic topics of intermediate algebra.
- Develop the concept of a function and to emphasize its importance in mathematics.
- Introduce the basic functions and their properties--polynomial, rational, radical, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric.
- Emphasize applications of functions and the development of mathematical models.
- Develop general problem-solving skills in the course topics.
- Unit 1: Optional Review: Basic Concepts of Algebra
- Unit 2: Graphs, Functions, Models, Equations, and Inequalities
- Unit 3: More Quadratic Functions and Equations, Inequalities; Polynomial and Rational Functions
- Unit 4: Exponential Functions and Logarithmic Functions
- Unit 5: The Trigonometric Functions
- Unit 6: Trigonometric Identities, Inverse Functions, and Equations
- Unit 7: Applications of Trigonometry; Systems of Equations and Matrices
- Unit 8: Conic Sections
- Unit 9: Sequences, Series, and Combinatorics
Required Text and Materials
The following textbooks are required for this course and comes in a bundle:
- Beecher, J., Penna, J., & Bittinger, M. Algebra and trigonometry with MyMathLab &
Student Solutions Manual. 5th ed. Pearson Education, Inc., 2016.
Type: ISBN-10: 0134302605
This bundle contains the following texts:
- Beecher, J., Penna, J., & Bittinger, M. Algebra and trigonometry. 5th ed. Pearson
Education, Inc., 2016.
Type: ISBN-13: 9780321969569
- Beecher, J., Penna, J., & Bittinger, M. Student's solution manual: Algebra and
trigonometry. 5th ed. Pearson Education, Inc., 2016.
Type: ISBN-13: 978-0-321-98189-9
- Beecher, J., Penna, J., & Bittinger. MyMathLab with Pearson eText-Instant Access for
Algebra and Trigonometry. 5th ed. 2016.
Type: ISBN-10: 0321981871 | ISBN-13: 9780321981875
A scientific calculator is required.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty member is available to assist students. Primary communication is by phone at a mutually convenient time. Students will receive the necessary contact information when starting the course.
To successfully complete this course, you must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory final exam.
|Assignment 1: Graphs, Functions, Models, Equations, and Inequalities||7.5%|
|Assignment 2: More Quadratic Functions and Equations, Inequalities; Polynomial and Rational Functions||7.5%|
|Assignment 3: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions||7.5%|
|Assignment 4: The Trigonometric Functions||7.5%|
|Assignment 5: Trigonometric Identities, Inverse Functions, and Equations||7.5%|
|Assignment 6: Trigonometry, Equations, and Matrices||7.5%|
|Assignment 7: Conic Sections||7.5%|
|Assignment 8: Sequences, Series, and Combinatorics||7.5%|
|Final Exam *||40%|