MATH 0101: Practical Mathematics
This basic-level course provides a review of arithmetic with an emphasis on practical applications and examples. The course is an adult equivalent to completing Grade 9 mathematics.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, decimals and fractions.
- Calculate percentage and employ it in a variety of employment situations.
- Apply basic arithmetic to banking, budget-making and other money matters.
- Apply fundamental operations related to measurement.
- Apply some basic algebraic and geometric functions to everyday job situations.
- Whole numbers and decimals
- Consumer applications
- Measurement, Applied geometry, and algebra
Required text and materials
There is no required textbook for this course.
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
Your final mark will be determined on the following basis:
You must complete all the assignments in order to receive a final grade. In order to successfully complete this course, you must obtain at least 50 per cent on the final mandatory examination and 50 per cent overall.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty member is available to assist students. Primary communication is by phone at a mutually convenient time. You will receive the necessary contact information when you start your course.