Participants develop the values, language, contextual speech, and skills required for the
development of professional helping relationships. Utilizing critical reflection, participants
examine relationship development with members of diverse populations, conduct relationship
building activities for their peers, and learn the process of giving and receiving professional
feedback and supervision.
- Model the qualities and characteristics of an effective helper and of a helping relationship.
- Identify the impact of self traits on clients and on the helping relationship using
self-reflection and critical analysis.
- Act intentionally and demonstrate cultural intentionality with clients in helping
- Assess the impact of personal beliefs, values and ethics on professional interactions and
- Analyze professional communication skills, attitudes, and professional ethics in helping
- Lesson 1: Preparing for Continuous Development in Professional Communication Skills
- Lesson 2: Core Competencies in Professional Helping Relationships
- Lesson 3: Ethics and Privilege for Socially Diverse Communication Competence
- Lesson 4: Attending, Observing, and Listening
- Lesson 5: Questioning for Understanding
- Lesson 6: Encouraging, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing
- Lesson 7: Reflecting Feelings: Building Empathy
- Lesson 8: Five-Stage Interview — Stages 1–3: Empathy, Strengths, and Goals
- Lesson 9: Five-Stage Interview — Stages 4–5: Restoring Thinking, Feeling, and/or Behaviour to
Achieve Goals and Change
- Lesson 10: Focusing and Contextualizing the Interview
- Lesson 11: Empathic Confrontation and Change
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Ivey, A. E., Ivey, M. B., & Zalaquett, C. P. (2018). Intentional interviewing and
counseling: Facilitating client development in a multicultural society (9th ed.). Cengage
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 978-1-305-86578-5
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory project.
|Assignment 1: 20-Minute Skills Demonstration Video and Self-Evaluation
|Assignment 2: Applying Technical Skills to Case Studies
|Assignment 3: Conducting a Five-Stage Interview
|Final Project: Personal Reflection Paper (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.