HRMN 2821: Human Resources Management
Students are introduced to the management of an organization's workforce through the design and implementation of effective human resources policies and procedures. Current Canadian issues and practices are examined. Topics include the need for human resources management and its growing professionalism; human resource planning including job design and analysis; recruitment and selection; compensation; employee development; workplace health and safety; and employee relations.
- Develop the knowledge, skills and concepts needed to resolve actual human resource management problems or issues.
- Manage the employment relationship, which is a shared responsibility between employers, management, human resources specialists, and employees.
- Identify the human resources needs of an organization or department.
- Conduct a job analysis and produce a job description from the job analysis.
- Evaluate the procedures and practices used for recruiting and selecting suitable employees.
- Assess training requirements and design a successful orientation and training program.
- Discuss workplace health and safety programs and the roles of the employer and the employee in enforcing health and safety policies and procedures.
- Explain the responsibilities of management, HRM specialists, managers, and employees in managing the employment relationship in a unionized or a non-unionized environment.
Module 1: Need for Human Resources Management
Module 2: Matching HR Needs and People
Module 3: Developing People
Module 4: Compensation and Recognition
Module 5: Recruitment and Selection
Module 6: Developing a Healthy Work Environment and Effective Employee Relations
Required text and materials
Students require the following e-textbook. An access card/code for this e-text can be purchased directly from the TRU bookstore site at https://thebookstore.tru.ca/site_digital.asp. Instructions on how to use the access code are provided in the course after registration.
Dessler, G., Chhinzer, N., & Gannon, G. (2019). Management of human resources: The
essentials, [Access code for MyLab Management & e-textbook] (5th Canadian ed.) Toronto,
ON: Pearson Education Canada.
Type: E-Textbook. ISBN: 9780134882963.
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Need for Human Resources Management||10%|
|Assignment 2: Matching HR Needs and People||10%|
|Assignment 3: Developing People||10%|
|Assignment 4: Compensation and Recognition||10%|
|Assignment 5: Recruitment and Selection||10%|
|Assignment 6: Effective Employee and Labour Relations||10%|
|Final Exam *||40%|
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.