Clinical Decision Making
This course is designed to enhance the professional health practitioner's clinical decision- making skills to support safe practice across various health settings and with different client populations with diverse health issues. Using a case-based approach and a clinical decision-making framework, participants are supported to explore the current knowledge required to implement best practices with respect to the assessment and care of clients with various actual or potential health challenges.
Online, paced course.
Admission to the Return to Registered Nurse Practice Program or Current CRNBC Registration or permission of Associate Dean or appropriate designate.
- Develop participant confidence and competence in accessing resources to facilitate clinical decision-making skills in order to prepare for their return to a practice setting wherein diverse forms of knowledge and decision-making skills are required to provide quality health care.
- Enhance participant knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, epidemiology, social determinants of health, and application of this empirical knowledge in client assessment and care across the lifespan.
- Augment participant understanding of several frameworks to support clinical decision-making.
- Increase participants capacity to assess, plan and evaluate client-centred care based on multiple ways of knowing, principles of evidence based decisions (evidence based practice) and current best-practices.
Module 1: Course Introduction and Orientation
Module 2: Clinical Decision-making Models
Module 3: Clinical Decision-making and Episodic Conditions
Module 4: Clinical Decision-making to Deliver Quality Nursing Care
Required Text and Materials
- Lilley/Rainforth Collins/Snyder/Swart. Pharmacology for Canadian Health Care Practice.
3rd Edition. Elsevier Canada, 2016.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 978-1-927406-68-7
- April Hazard Vallerand & Cynthia A. Sanoski F.A. Davis's Canadian Drug Guide for
Nurses. 16th Edition. Davis Company, 2018.
Type: ISBN: 978-0-8036-6945-1
- F.A. Davis Company. Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary. 23rd Edition.
Type: ISBN: 978-0-8036-5904-9
- Anne M. Van Leeuwen & Mickey L. Bladh, F.A. Davis's Comprehensive Handbook of
Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications. 7th Edition. Davis &
Type: ISBN: 978-0-8036-5943-8
This is a companion course to HLTH 3611 & HLTH 3621. Therefore, the textbook listed below will not be included in your course package. If you do not have this textbook please contact Enrolment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada), 250.852.7000 (Kamloops, BC), and 1.250.852.7000 (International)
Potter/Perry/Ross-Kerr/Wood/Astle/Duggleby, Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing, 6th Edition, 2019. Elsevier Mosby. Type: Textbook ISBN: 978-1-77172-113-4
Computer with Internet is required.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
To successfully complete this course students must obtain 50% or higher in the mandatory final project and in the course overall. Students in the RRNP program must achieve at least a C grade (minimum 60%) in each required course and maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.33 (minimum 65%) in order to progress to the next course.
|Assignment 1: Portfolio Reflection on Team Task 1||20%|
|Assignment 2: A Personal Clinical Decision Making Framework||20%|
|Assignment 3: Portfolio Reflection on Team Task 2||20%|
|Final Project: Clinical Decision Making *||40%|