This course is designed to advance the relational knowledge and skill of health professionals. It emphasizes concepts such as communication; leadership; interprofessional practice; teaching and learning; diversity; power; and the client as a person, family and community.
Admission to the Return to Registered Nurse Practice Program - or - Current CRNBC Registration - or - permission of Associate Dean or designate.
The goal of this course is to enhance the learner's knowledge about and skill in promoting nursing as a relational practice. By working through the learning activities in this course, students will:
- Describe and apply nursing leadership as an integral part of everyday practice
- Describe and apply the key principles and processes of communication and therapeutic communication to enhance practice relationships
- Apply the basic principles and concepts related to teaching and learning to promote health through client education
- Discuss and explain the role of power and empowerment when engaging in caring relations with clients as individuals, families, or communities
- Identify and apply advocacy and social justice as professional obligations, respecting the diversity of all clients including individuals, families, groups/populations, or communities
- Locate the unique contribution of nursing as relational practice in enhancing collaborative, interprofessional care
Module 1: Leadership and Caring Relations
- Leadership in Nursing
- Understanding Caring in Leadership
- Leadership and Caring in Everyday Practice
Module 2: Therapeutic Nurse-Client Relations
- Communication in Nursing
- Promoting Therapeutic Client Relationships
Module 3: Family as the Client
- Family: The Unit of Nursing Care
- Family Nursing
- Relating to Diversity Among Families
Module 4: Community as the Client
- Nurses Working with Communities
- Building Health Communities
- Addressing Diversity in Groups and Communities
- Ethical Concerns related to Community Nursing
Module 5: Client Education
- Role of Client Education
- The Teaching-Learning Process
- Addressing Diversity in the Context of Health Education
- Ethical Concerns related to Client Education
Module 6: Interprofessional Care
- Health Work Environments for Nurses
- Working with Health Professionals and Other Allied Workers
- Greening the Health Sector
Required Text and Materials
This is a companion course to HLTH 3611, therefore the textbook Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing, 6e would have been provided to students in HLTH 3611.
Course materials for this course, HLTH 3621, will only include "Advancing Your Career, 6e.
- Kearney-Nunnery, R. Advancing Your Career: Concepts of Professional Nursing. 6th
Edition. F.A. Davis Company, 2016.
Textbook: ISBN 978-0-8036-4203-4 - in this course package HLTH 3621
- Potter, P., Perry, A., Stockert, P, Hall, A. Canadian Fundamentals of Nursing. 6th
Edition. Toronto, CA: Elsevier-Mosby, 2017.
Textbook: ISBN: 978-1-77172-113-4 (Included with HLTH 3611 course package)
If students have any questions about course textbooks or other materials, please contact Enrolment Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada), 250.852.7000 (Kamloops, BC), and 1.250.852.7000 (International).
Computer with Internet is required.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at start of course.
In order to successfully complete this course, students must obtain an overall minimum grade of 50% for the course. Marks for the course will be distributed among the assignments as shown. To successfully complete the course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the assignments. Students in the RRNP program must achieve at least a C grade (minimum 60%) in each required course and maintain a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.33 (minimum 65%) in order to progress to the next course.
Students who fail to submit an assignment will be assigned a grade of zero for the missing work.
|Assignment 1: Online discussions||30%|
|Assignment 2: Communication to Support Professional Nursing Relationships||20%|
|Assignment 3: Developing and Sharing a Teaching Plan||20%|
|Assignment 4: Nursing as Relational Practice - Formal Essay||30%|