This course builds on content from other courses to assist students in exploring concepts and caregiving approaches that will allow them to work effectively with individuals experiencing cognitive or mental challenges. Emphasis is on supporting clients with dementia, recognizing behaviours and identifying person-centered intervention strategies.
Admission to the Program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- * Describe ways to organize, administer and evaluate person-centered care and service for clients/residents experiencing common cognitive health challenges.
- * Describe ways to organize, administer, and evaluate person centered care and assistance for clients/residents experiencing mental health challenges.
- * Demonstrate an understanding of effective approaches to disruptive or abusive behaviours.
*From: Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial Curriculum Guide 2015, 51-52. Province of British Columbia. https://urls.bccampus.ca/5vi. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)
- Cognitive challenge to older adulthood
- Mental health challenges
Required Text and Materials
The required text bundle described below is also used in HLTH 1051. If you did not take HLTH 1051 and do not already own the required materials, you will need to purchase them. To do so, you may send an email to email@example.com or by phone at 1.888.663.1653. (toll free in Canada) or 250-852-7000 (local and international)
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support
Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 9781771720434
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Workbook to accompany Mosby's Canadian
Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Workbook, ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Mosby's Nursing Assistant Video Skills. 4th Edition . Elseivier/Mosby
Type: DVD, ISBN: 978-0-323-22244-0
Package ISBN: 978-1-77172-133-2 (*the package includes all items listed above)
*It is possible to complete this program with the 3rd edition of the text package.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% on the mandatory final exam and in the course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each required theory course and a COM (complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory and practicum courses to pass the program.
Students must pass each course to continue in the program. Students cannot re-write failed assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any course, will be asked to withdraw from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.
|Assignment 1: Responding to an Individual Experiencing Cognitive Challenges||10%|
|Assignment 2: Behavioural Case Studies||15%|
|Assignment 3: Mental Health/Cognitive Health Disorders||15%|
|Quiz (Lessons 1 - 4)||25%|
|Final Examination *||35%|