Students focus on the normal structure and function of the human body and normal bodily changes
associated with aging. Students are introducted to common challenges to health and healing in
relation to each body system. Students are encouraged to explore person-centered practice as it
relates to the common challenges to health and, in particular, to end-of-life care.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Display an understanding of the structure and function of the human body and normal changes
associated with aging
- Display a sound understanding of common challenges to health and healing
- Discuss nutrition as it relates to healing
- Describe ways to organize, administer and evaluate person-centered care and service for
clients/residents experiencing common health challenges
- Demonstrate an understanding of the components of person-centered, end-of-life care for
clients and families
From: BC Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial
Curriculum Guide 2015, 43-44. Province of British Columbia. https://urls.bccampus.ca/5vi.
Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- Medical terminology
- Structure and function of the human body
- Challenges to health and healing
- Nutrition and healing
- End-of-Life Care
Required text and materials
The required text bundle described below is also used in HLTH 1051. If you did not take HLTH
1051 and do not already own the required materials, you will need to purchase them. To do so, you
may send an email to email@example.com or by phone at 1.888.663.1653. (toll free in Canada) or
250-852-7000 (local and international)
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J., Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support
Worker. 4th edition Elsevier/Mosby Inc. 2018.
Type: Textbook ISBN:
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J., Workbook to accompany Mosby's Canadian Textbook
for the Support Worker. 4th edition Elsevier/Mosby Inc. 2018.
Workbook 2. ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Mosby's Nursing Assistant Video Skills. Mosby Inc. 4th edition
Elsevier/Mosby Inc. 2015.
Type: Online Access Code, ISBN 9780323581899
Package ISBN: 9780323688512 (*the custom package includes all items listed above)
*It is possible to complete this program with the 3rd edition of the text package.
|Assignment 1: Case Study/Care Planning
|Assignment 2: Developmental Health Challenges
|Quiz 1: (Lessons 1 - 5)
|Quiz 2: Lessons 6 - 10)
|Quiz 3: (Lessons 11 - 16)
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% in this
course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each required theory course and a COM
(complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory and practicum courses to pass the
program. Students must pass each course to continue in the program.
Students cannot re-write failed assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any
course, will be asked to withdraw from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of your course.