Healing 1: Caring for Individuals Experiencing Common Health Challenges
Students focus on the normal structure and function of the human body and normal bodily changes associated with aging. Students are introducted to common challenges to health and healing in relation to each body system. Students are encouraged to explore person-centered practice as it relates to the common challenges to health and, in particular, to end-of-life care.
Admission to the Health Care Assistant program.
HEAL 1200: Caring for Individuals Experiencing Common Health Challenges
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- *Display an understanding of the structure and function of the human body and normal changes associated with aging
- *Display a sound understanding of common challenges to health and healing
- *Discuss nutrition as it relates to healing
- *Describe ways to organize, administer and evaluate person-centered care and service for clients/residents experiencing common health challenges
- *Demonstrate an understanding of the components of person-centered, end-of-life care for clients and families
*From: BC Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial Curriculum Guide 2015, 43-44. Province of British Columbia. https://urls.bccampus.ca/5vi. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- Medical terminology
- Structure and function of the human body
- Challenges to health and healing
- Nutrition and healing
- End-of-Life Care
Maximum Completion30 weeks.
Required Text and Materials
The required text bundle described below is also used in HLTH 1051. If you did not take HLTH 1051 and do not already own the required materials, you will need to purchase them. To do so, you may send an email to email@example.com or by phone at 1.888.663.1653. (toll free in Canada) or 250-852-7000 (local and international)
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 9781771720434
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Workbook to accompany Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Workbook, ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Mosby's Nursing Assistant Video Skills. 4th Edition . Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2015.
Type: DVD, ISBN: 978-0-323-22244-0
Package ISBN: 978-1-77172-133-2 (*the package includes all items listed above)
*It is possible to complete this program with the 3rd edition of the text package.
Students require a computer with Internet access and a DVD player.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
|Assignment 1: Case Study/Care Planning||20%|
|Assignment 2: Developmental Health Challenges||20%|
|Quiz 1: (Lessons 1 - 5)||20%|
|Quiz 2: Lessons 6 - 10)||20%|
|Quiz 3: (Lessons 11 - 16)||20%|
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% in this course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each required theory course and a COM (complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory and practicum courses to pass the program. Students must pass each course to continue in the program.
Students cannot re-write failed assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any course, will be asked to withdraw from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.