Nutrition for Health and Changing Lifestyles
This course provides an introduction to the relationship between nutrition and health. The focus is on healthy eating, understanding strategies for modifying food patterns within the context of lifestyle and culture, and identifying standards of healthy eating in Canada.
Upon successful completion, students will be able to:
- Identify the standards for healthy eating that exist in Canada
- Identify influences on food choices
- Recognize your own nutritional needs and how to achieve them through foods
- Identify characteristics of nutrition quackery and valid nutrition information
- Identify nutrients of concern for various lifecycles and lifestyles (e.g. children, older adults, vegetarians, athletes, etc.)
- Recognize the relationship between nutrition and health status
- Analyze personal dietary intake in relation to Canadian standards
- Identify functions, food sources and deficiency/toxicity symptoms for vitamins and minerals.
The course is divided into four units, which are further divided into topics of study as follows:
Unit 1: Introduction to Nutrition
Unit 2: Nutrients and Health
Unit 3: Energy Balance and Physical Activity
Unit 4: Lifecycle Nutrition
Required Text and Materials
Sizer, F.S., Whitney, E., & Piche, L.A. Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies . (4th
Canadian ed). Toronto, ON: Nelson Education, (2018).
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 978-0-17-670548-0
This textbook comes packaged with:
Mind Tap PAC and Functional Aspects of Vitamins & Minerals laminated card.
The bundle ISBN is: 0176827730
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve 50% or higher on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the mandatory final project.
|Assignment 1: Self-Reflection on Personal Dietary Intake||5%|
|Unit 1 Quiz: Introduction to Nutrition||7.5%|
|Assignment 2: Case Study: Low Carb Diets and Weight Loss||10%|
|Assignment 3: Nutrition Quackery WebQuest: Protein Supplementation and Exercise||10%|
|Unit 2 Quiz: Nutrients and Health||7.5%|
|Assignment 4: Blog Posting: Strategies for Long-Term Weight Loss||10%|
|Unit 3 Quiz: Energy Balance and Physical Activity||7.5%|
|Assignment 5: Healthy Aging Handout||10%|
|Unit 4 Quiz: Lifecycle Nutrition||7.5%|
|Final Project: Dietary Analysis Report *||25%|