Health 2: Lifestyle and Choices
Students are introduced to a holistic concept of health and the components of a health-enhancing lifestyle. Participants are invited to reflect on their own experience of health while recognizing challenges and resources that can impact lifestyle choices. Students are also introduced to a model that is applied to understanding the multi-faceted aspects of health and healing.
Admission to the Program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- *Discuss the interrelationship of physical, social, cognitive, emotional and spiritual dimensions and Determinants of Health.
- *Discuss the interrelationship of physical, social, cognitive, emotional and spiritual dimensions and the twelve Determinants of Health
- *Display an understanding of the complexity of the change process in relation to health promotion.
*From: BC Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial Curriculum Guide 2015, 43-44. Province of British Columbia. https://urls.bccampus.ca/5vi. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- Understanding Health
- Components of Health
- Lifestyle Topics
Maximum Completion30 weeks.
Required Text and Materials
This is a companion course to HLTH 1051. If you did not take HLTH 1051 and don't already own the required materials, you will need to purchase them. To do so, you may send an email to email@example.com or by phone at 1.888.663.1653. (toll free in Canada) or 250-852-7000 (local and international)
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 9781771720434
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Workbook to accompany Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Workbook, ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Mosby's Nursing Assistant Video Skills. 4th Edition . Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2015.
Type: DVD, ISBN: 978-0-323-22244-0
Package ISBN: 978-1-77172-133-2 (*the package includes all items listed above)
*It is possible to complete this program with the 3rd edition of the text package.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
|Assignment 1: Stress Journal Project||25%|
|Assignment 2: Lifestyle Change Project||35%|
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% on the mandatory final exam and in the course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each required theory course and a COM (complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory and practicum courses to pass the program. Students must pass each course to continue in the program.
Students cannot re-write failed assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any course, will be asked to withdraw from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.