This course reviews the concepts and tools used to design and implement a successful event
marketing strategy. The focus of the course is on applying contemporary principles of strategic
marketing to the process of event management. These concepts are applicable to the broadest
definition of the event management industry including festivals, sporting events, community
celebrations, cultural events and arts productions. A student-defined case study further defines
the application of course content.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define marketing terminology, and apply marketing fundamentals to a festival or special
- Demonstrate how marketing a service such as a festival differs from marketing a product.
- Apply a systematic approach to the evaluation of an event marketing strategy.
- Develop a marketing plan for a festival.
- Apply concepts of consumer behaviour and customer satisfaction.
- Use business tools such as SWOT analysis to assess the viability and sustainability of an
- Develop an integrated communications strategy to sell the event.
- Evaluate the success of an event from an economic and social perspective.
Module 1: Introduction to Marketing
Module 2: Product Development
Module 3: Marketing Communications
Module 4: Social Media and Sponsorship
Module 5: Developing a Marketing Plan
Required text and materials
There is no textbook for this course.
Basic computer skills, which include the ability to:
- Navigate the directory/folder structure of your computer's hard drive and search for files.
- Create and organize directories, folders, and files.
- Use a word-processing program and save word-processing documents in different file formats.
- Have a basic understanding of Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Use an email program, including sending and saving attachments.
- Use a graphical web browser and Adobe Acrobat Reader (current version).
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory project.
|Assignment 1: Festival Proposal
|Assignment 2: Sponsorship Package
|Assign 3: Creative Brief
|Assign 4: Press Release
|Final Major Project: Marketing Plan (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.