CONV 1041: Event Volunteer Management
This course is designed to introduce the student to the concepts and theories for the
successful management of event volunteers. Current trends and their impacts on volunteer
organizations will be examined. The student will participate in volunteering for a special
- Explain key event volunteer management issues and how they relate to tourism and leisure
- Understand and articulate a variety of concepts and theories, including the volunteer cycle,
recruitment, orientation and evaluation, for the management of event volunteers.
- Identify and describe the event volunteer cycle.
- Identify operational areas where policy development is required.
- Construct appropriate policies and procedures as needed within your event related
- Identify and explain current event volunteer management trends and issues and their potential
impact on organizations and society in general.
- Describe the future of volunteering in Canada.
Module 1: Introduction and Overview of the Tourism Industry
Module 2: The Volunteer Cycle
Module 3: The Volunteer Coordinator and Volunteers
Module 4: Policy for Volunteer Programs
Module 5: Volunteer Event Management
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Graff, L. L. (2005). Best of all: The quick reference guide to effective volunteer
involvement. Linda Graff and Associates.
Type: E-text: ISBN 0-9684760-3-1
- Graff, L. L. (1997). By definition: Policies for volunteer programs (2nd ed.). Linda
Graff and Associates.
Type: E-text: ISBN 0-9684760-0-7
NOTE: Students are required to purchase both of the above e-texts from, Energize, Inc. for an
additional cost of approximately $30.00 USD. The url for the Energize Bookstore page containing
both publications is: https://www.energizeinc.com/store
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory project.
|Assignment 1: Community Volunteer Opportunity Profile
|Assignment 2: SWOT Analysis
|Assignment 3: Could you tell us… ?
|Assignment 4: The Interview
|Assignment 5: The Campaign
|Final Project (mandatory): Volunteer Case Study
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students throughout the course. Primary
communication is through the Learning Environment’s "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will
receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.