CONV 1011: Introduction to Tourism
Students are introduced to the tourism industry. Consideration is given to the concepts and
vocabulary common throughout the tourism sectors. Students critically examine the competition for
resources with other industries.
After successfully completing this course, the student should be able to accomplish the
- Describe the characteristics of tourism.
- Define a variety of tourism terminology and concepts.
- Identify evolving issues and trends in the tourism industry and discuss their implications
for festivals and events.
- Define the five sectors of the tourism industry and evaluate their role in supporting events.
- Assess the environment in which community events take place.
- Identify travel motivators and tourism generators and evaluate their potential for the
special events industry.
- Examine and assess the impact of tourism and events as a worldwide economic, environmental,
cultural, political, and social force.
- Describe the role and function of industry and government organizations that support tourism
at the regional, national, and international level.
- Identify tourism-related products at local, provincial and national level and describe their
role in supporting events.
- Prepare a presentation that examines leading edge tourism products or services
Module 1: Introduction and Overview of the Tourism Industry
Module 2: The Five Sectors of Tourism
Module 3: Organizations That Support Tourism
Module 4: Understanding Tourism's Role in Contemporary Society
Module 5: The Future of the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
Required text and materials
Students will need to source the following on their own:
- Westcott, M. (Ed.). (2019). Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality in BC. Victoria,
B.C.: Bccampus. Retrieved from: https://opentextbc.ca/introtourism/
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory project.
|Assignment 1: The Impact of Tourism
|Assignment 2: Social Media and Tourism
|Assignment 3: Travel Motivators & Event Attendee
|Assignment 4: PEST Analysis
|Assignment 5: Leading Edge Practices
|Final Project (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.