Still using Internet Explorer?

You'll have a happier experience on the TRU website — and most other sites — if you update to a modern web browser such as Firefox, Chrome, or Edge. You can continue to use Internet Explorer for certain tasks, such as using Banner.

Thompson Rivers University 50th Anniversary
Thompson Rivers University 50th Anniversary

BIOL 0601: Provincial Biology

Note: Students who complete BIOL 0601 will meet the ABE Provincial Level (Grade 12) learning outcomes and competencies for transfer credit as stated in the most recent BC Provincial Government’s publication Adult Basic Education: A Guide to Upgrading in British Columbia's Public Post-Secondary Institutions - An Articulation Handbook., including a completion of a minimum of seven labs.

This provincial-level course in human biology is equivalent to Grade 12 biology and one of the optional science courses that may be used to meet the requirements of the Adult Secondary Graduation Diploma awarded by the Ministries of Education and Advanced Education. Topics include cell biology, photosynthesis and cellular respiration, human anatomy and physiology, and genetics. The course imparts an understanding and appreciation for the way scientific knowledge is obtained and organized, so that students can apply these methods to everyday life. This course is concerned primarily with human biology (circulation, the heart, immunity, the nervous system, genetics, etc.), although there are several textbook chapters concerned with biological topics such as diffusion, photosynthesis, cellular respiration, cell division, evolution and ecology.


After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:

  • Define fundamental biology concepts and terminology
  • Describe the methodology of a controlled experiment
  • Explain the necessity of performing experiments in order to acquire specific knowledge
  • Apply basic biological concepts to everyday problems

Course outline

Module 1 Cell Biology--Science, Chemistry, and the Structure of the Cell

  • Topic 1.1 The Study of Life
  • Topic 1.2 The Chemistry of Life
  • Topic 1.3 Biological Molecules
  • Topic 1.4 Structure and Function of the Cell
  • Lab 1 A: Doing Science Safely
  • Lab 1 B: Acids and Bases in Your Home
  • Lab 1 C: Testing for Starch and Fats
  • Lab 1 D: Using the Pocket Microscope

Module 2 Cell Biology--Activities of the Cell

  • Topic 2.1 Structure and Function of the Cell Membrane
  • Topic 2.2 Metabolism and Cellular Respiration
  • Topic 2.3 DNA/RNA Structure and Function
  • Lab 2 A: Investigating Tonicity
  • Lab 2 B: Enzymes

Module 3 Genetics

  • Topic 3.1 Cell Division--Mitosis and Meiosis
  • Topic 3.2 Simple Inheritance
  • Topic 3.3 The Chromosomal Basis for Inheritance
  • Lab 3 A: Mitosis
  • Lab 3 B: The Monohybrid Cross
  • Lab 3 C: The Dihybrid Cross

Module 4 Human Physiology and Anatomy 1

  • Topic 4.1 Human Organization
  • Topic 4.2 Circulation
  • Topic 4.3 Blood and Immunity
  • Topic 4.4 Respiration
  • Lab 4 A: Tissues
  • Lab 4 B: Respiration

Module 5 Human Physiology and Anatomy 2

  • Topic 5.1 Digestion
  • Topic 5.2 Excretion
  • Topic 5.3 The Nervous System and The Senses
  • Topic 5.4 The Endocrine System
  • Lab 5 A: The Digestion of Starch
  • Lab 5 B: The Senses

Laboratory Component

There are a total of 13 labs. The labs are included in the assignments and each requires a formal lab report.

Required text and materials

  1. Mader, S.S., & Windelspecht, M. Inquiry into life with Connect (15th ed.). Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, (2017).
    Type: Textbook Bundle ISBN 978-1-259-70818-3 (Textbook ISBN: 978-1-259-42616-2)
  2. BIOL 0601 Lab Kit
  3. Pocketscope Microscope
  4. Clear Plastic Ruler


To successfully complete this course, students must achieve 50% or higher on the mandatory final exam. 75% of the final grade is derived equally from the assignments in the five modules, with the remaining 25% from the final exam. Although the final exam is only worth 25% of your course mark, you must obtain a mark of 50% or better in order to obtain credit for the course. Each assignment includes laboratory exercises that must be completed and submitted for grading with the assignment.Bonus marks: A bonus challenge question is included at the end of some assignments.

Bonus marks will be added to an assignment up to a grade maximum of 99%.

Assignment 1: The Structure of the Cell 15%
Assignment 2: Activities of the Cell 15%
Assignment 3: Genetics 15%
Assignment 4: Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 15%
Assignment 5: Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 15%
Final Exam * 25%
Total 100%

* Mandatory

Open Learning Faculty Member

An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's Mail tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information when starting the course.

Search To Top