This course integrates theory and practice to examine the effect supervisory practices have on
employee motivation. Up-to-date supervisory techniques are introduced. Skills learned in this
course can be applied to organizations in either the public or private sector. Topics discussed
include leadership, job design, goal-setting, management by objectives, rewards, and
- Understand the causes of performance problems.
- Understand how to assess the effectiveness of management practices in your organization.
- Describe several current management techniques and practices in the areas of leadership, job
design, goal setting and management by objectives, reward systems, communications and
- Workbook 1: The Causes of Motivational Problems
- Workbook 2: Job Design
- Workbook 3: Leadership
- Workbook 4: Goal Setting and Management by Objectives
- Workbook 5: Rewards
- Workbook 6: Supervisory Communications
Required text and materials
There is no required textbook for this course.
Print, self-paced students will need access to a computer to view their assignment files on a
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course and 50% or higher on the final mandatory examination.
|Final Examination (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty member is available to assist students. Primary communication is
through the Learning Environment’s “Mail” tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary
contact information when starting the course.