This course integrates theory and practice to examine the effect supervisory practices have on
employee motivation. Up-to-date supervisory techniques are introduced. Skills learned in this
course can be applied to organizations in either the public or private sector. Topics discussed
include leadership, job design, goal-setting, management by objectives, rewards, and
- Understand the causes of performance problems.
- Understand how to assess the effectiveness of management practices in your organization.
- Describe several current management techniques and practices in the areas of leadership, job
design, goal setting and management by objectives, reward systems, communications and
- Workbook 1: The Causes of Motivational Problems
- Workbook 2: Job Design
- Workbook 3: Leadership
- Workbook 4: Goal Setting and Management by Objectives
- Workbook 5: Rewards
- Workbook 6: Supervisory Communications
Required text and materials
There is no required textbook for this course.
Print, self-paced students will need access to a computer to view their assignment files on a
Please be aware that due to COVID-19 safety guidelines all in-person exams have been suspended. As such, all final exams are currently being delivered through ProctorU, which has an approximate fee of $35 involved. There will be more information in your course shell, on how to apply, if your course has a final exam.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course and 50% or higher on the final mandatory examination.
|Final Examination (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of your course.