This competency-based, paced course provides students with the understanding, knowledge, and
skills to make strategic human resource management decisions. The course emphasizes practical
activities, ranging from assessment of the global economic environment and organizational culture
to the analysis of competencies and the implementation of human resource decisions. Stu-dents
carry out a detailed strategic analysis of a human resource management issue in their
organizations, and, in doing so learn how to effectively manage human resources in a way that
contributes to improved performance, productivity, and morale.
The goal of this course is to provide students with the knowledge and skills that they can use
to effectively manage human resources to achieve organizational goals. In order to achieve this
goal, students will:
- Take a strategic approach to human resource management.
- Assess the global human resources environment in which your organization operates.
- Forecast the human resource needs of your organization or department.
- Do a job analysis and competency audit of your organization and/or department.
- Identify competency gaps in your organization or department.
- Provide feedback to employees to help them reach personal and organizational goals.
- Use powerful "coaching" questions to help employees attain personal and organizational
- Use competency-based recruitment and selection techniques.
- Manage and motivate employees using the basic principles of strategic human resource
- Module 1: The External Environment and Your Organization
- Module 2: Understanding Your Human Resources Customers
- Module 3: Understanding the Flow of People
- Module 4: Performance Management
- Module 5: Building Human Resources Strategy
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Collins, J. (2001) Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...and Others Don't.
Ist edition. HarperCollins Publishers Inc.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 0-06-662099-6
- Schwind, H., Uggerslev, K., Wagar, T., and Fassina, N. (2019) Canadian Human Resource
Management: A Strategic Approach. 12th ed. Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson.
Textbook, ISBN: 978-1-25-965492-3
To successfully complete the course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher in
the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Project. Students taking this course
and applying it towards an Advanced Certificate or Advanced Diploma in Management must obtain a
minimum 70% average in the course overall.
|Assignment 1: The External Environment and Your Organization
|Assignment 2: Understanding Human Resources' Customers
|Assignment 3: Planning and Implementing the Effective Flow of People within the
|Assignment 4: Feedback and Coaching
|Participation in discussions:
|Final Project (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.