BBUS 3631: Open Communication: Effective
This competency-based, paced course teaches the theories and strategies that sustain and foster effective communication skills for management. It provides students with the professional skills and knowledge to communicate successfully on many levels, including writing, speaking, conducting meetings, giving presentations and interpersonal dialogues, and using electronic media. Students are given the opportunity to work with various techniques to learn valuable communication tools to successfully support them in their managerial careers and personal lives.
- Increase your ability to communicate with intention.
- Develop effective listening skills.
- Practice your conversation skills to foster interactive dialogue.
- Develop facilitation strategies for getting results and building trust, plus giving and receiving support.
- Choose optimal communication channels and strategies.
- Improve your group communication skills to make effective presentations, facilitate useful meetings, and write clear communications.
Module 1: Opening Moves
Module 2: Listen Up!
Module 3: Genuine Conversation
Module 4: Mediums for Your Messages
Final Project: Bringing It All Together
Required text and materials
The following materials are required for this course:
- Alder, R.B., Elmhorst, J., Communicating at Work . McGraw Hill Companies Inc. (2023)
Type: Textbook. ISBN: 9781265448752
Students will need to source the following on their own for a cost of approximately of $25.00:
- Solving Tough Problems: An Open Way of Talking, Listening and Creating New Realities.
Kahane, A. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler Publishers Inc. (2007).
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory project.
|Final Project (mandatory)||50%|
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.