This course discusses the development of a fair and transparent development cost charge (DCC) system for First Nations or local governments. Students focus on creating DCC systems under the authority of the Financial Management Association and First Nation Tax Commission procedures and standards related to DCCs. The course presents DCC best practices throughout Canada.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Identify First Nation options for funding infrastructure.
- Explain the rationale for DCCs and the potential impacts on development in a First Nation community and the real estate market.
- Calculate DCC rates.
- Produce a draft First Nation DCC law, using a FSMA sample.
- Consult, give notice and develop a presentation about a DCC law.
- Outline DCC implementation and administration requirements.
- Explain DCC collections, expenditures, credits, and rebates.
- Describe methods to track and report DCC credits and rebates.
This course is divided into four modules, which are further broken into topics as follows:
Module 1: Options for Financing Infrastructure
- 1.1: Options for First Nation Community Infrastructure Financing
- 1.2: Additional Options for FSMA First Nations
- 1.3: Introduction to Development Cost Charges (DCCs)
- 1.4: Understanding Policy Interests
Module 2: Developing a First Nation DCC Law
- 2.1: Calculating DCC Rates
- 2.2: Creating a Draft DCC Law
- 2.3: Consulting on a Draft DCC Law
Module 3: Implementing a First Nation DCC Law
- 3.1: Introduction to DCC Administration
- 3.2: DCC Credits and Rebates
- 3.3: Tracking and Reporting
Module 4: DCC Program Presentation
- 4.1: DCC Program Presentation
Required text and materials
There is no print textbook in this course, but you will be required to complete some online readings.
Computer with Internet access.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the mandatory Final Project.
|Assignment 1: Bear River First nation Briefing Note
|Assignment 2: Developing a DCC Rate Schedule
|Assignment 3 : Developing a Draft DCC Law
|Assignment 4: DCC Calculations for Various Developments
|Final Project *
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.